Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove to Charlotte, NC yesterday for AutoFest. Massive swap meet, not heavily commercialized like so many others have become Like Pomona in CA for example. This was primarily a bunch of hobbyists selling excess parts left over from their personal projects, not a mixture of Beanie Baby sellers and reproduction part sellers as has become common at large swaps across the country.

I met up with Robin Jacques and Bruce Habel from the Carolina Cougar Club. They had a club display set up on the mezanine level alongside members of the Mercury club. Nice Cougars!

Got a great deal on a 427 Sidewinder factory intake manifold, saw several vendors with NOS Cougar parts for sale. Perogie had a display set up, I talked with the Perupski in attendance and learned they had set up at three swaps this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
What kind of NOS stuff did you see, Royce?

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts

Saw 69-70 parking lights and side markers. One fellow had some NOS trunk / glove box key and lock sets for 67-68 that had the original round hole keys. He also had lock cylinders with original style keys for other applications plus a lot of NOS FE parts like C8 timing chain covers, oil filter adapters etc. Also saw a couple of the '67 chrome air filter lids like texrep Don needs.

Here's what I bought:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Re: Parts

Also saw a couple of the '67 chrome air filter lids like texrep Don needs.
Rub it in why don't ya. :)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Royce,
Just out of curiousity, could you wax nostalgic about the sidewinder? I haven't dealt with lots of FE parts. Sounds interesting.
kraven

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sidewinder intake was introduced as an over the counter replacement manifold for the 427 and 428 in 1966 model year (late 1965).

It is NHRA legal for the 427 Medium Riser in all classes and for the 390 and 428 in some classes. It mounts the carburetor offset to the driver's side by about 1/2" to get all the runners to be nearer to equal length. That led to the nickname "Sidewinder". It is a dual plane intake and has a heat riser built into the underside. It is known to be worth 20 - 30 HP in race trim over the standard 427-428 single 4V aluminum intakes.

It was revised several times during production runs between 1965 and around 1970. Early intakes have casting ID C6AE 9425-G. Later ones have -H and -J. Some also have Holman Moody and Shelby logos cast into them. The one I bought has SFMD 9425-A on it, I don't have a clue what the number means, first one I have seen like it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What about the letter K, that's what mine has? Someone had told me that might be for experimental, only one's I have seen were J&K but then again I don't get out as much as I used to....
Jon

·
Registered
694 Posts
Royce....was it at the speedway?

Royce,
Congrats on the intake purchase.........was this at the speedway in Charlotte? About ten years ago while working for Penske I was in Charlotte while that had an autofair at the speedway. I couldn't believe all the cars and parts. They had a special auction to sell of extra cars and props from "Days of Thunder" movie since Paramount pictures had no use for alot of it, and I brought home some neat items.
My boss at the time...Don Miller who co-owns the team for Rusty Wallace........bought a 64 Catalina and I got to drive it for him from the speedway to the Penske South shop.
Anyways......glad to hear a report on the show.....did you not get to Columbus then? Keith

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keith,
I am in Savannah, GA this week for work, last week too. Charlotte was doable but Columbus is a long ways from here.

Jon, I have seen the -K's too. Can't see much difference in any of them. Probably just a later batch. Obviously there might be performance improvements of some sort in the later versions but I am not sure.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Royce, I was kinda wondering why you'd drive all the way to Charlotte from the Cinci area. :confused: Your last post clears things up nicely! ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Royce,
I was there also, did you see the 69 vert w/428-4 speed on the backstretch for $28,000. WOW! I spent most of Friday there in the infield looking at parts. I parked in the back and seen it on the way out. I missed the cougars in the mezzanine you mentioned. I had my wife with me and she had enough looking at Junk (Her outlook) after about 8 hours of walking.
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wish I knew

I live in the Winston-Salem area and heard nothing about this show.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Re: Wish I knew

Cougar Kitty said:
I live in the Winston-Salem area and heard nothing about this show.
Cougar Kitty;
They have it there every April and every September. It usually conflicts with the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, TN but has been on different weekends for the past couple of years. It is HUGE! the fall one is not as big, but still big enough. If I want to look at cars, I go to Pigeon Forge; if I want to buy parts, I go to Charlotte.
There are more cars of my style at the Pigeon Forge show and more "original" type vehicles at the Charlotte event.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I have forged pigeons :lol:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Royce,
I've been thinking of running my car in the factory appearing drags series that is gaining popularity. Been considering an FE based car for it since the cleveland in 70 didn't have the stuff to compete with the ZL1 and Stage 5 that seem to dominate the races.
anywho, how much do the sidewinder's run and what classes are they legal for?

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know about that series. NHRA allows the Sidewinder as I stated above in some classes.

It never came on any car from the factory so I can't use it in the Factory Stock Muscle Car Drag series. I have to run the stock iron CJ intake there.

Here's a link to that site. It was a blast stomping the Pontiac last year. You can see pictures of me pulling a hole shot on him at the line on the 2002 pictures page which just added insult to injury.
http://hometown.aol.com/lamgmt/schedule.html

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Royce,

Pardon my ignorance of race class rules, but wasn't the 428 P.I. intake a direct copy of the cast iron 428CJ intake, but in aluminum, and therefore legal for those stock classes? I know that has gotta shave some serious poundage off the nose. He used to carry his 428CJ intake around in the trunk of his beater for extra 'winter weight' traction.

Methinks a buddy of mine has one of those P.I. intakes laying around somewhere. He has a 69 Mach original 428CJ ram air car, now upgraded to SCJ specs (LeMans rods, SCJ 'cookie cutter' damper spacer...) I haven't seen him take the car on the road in years (he's had the car for 25+ years), but he fires it up every once in a while.

Like I said before, I'm not all that 'up' on FEs. I leave that to you old timers, LOL! (j/k ;) )

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is legal in some NHRA classes. Not for Factory Stock Muscle Car, only what came on the car is legal. No dealer parts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts