Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the front end redone on my 67 last summer, right before I got ready to come over here to Africa. I found out then, that I had those stupid articulated strut rods.
As my 67 XR7 is a one of two car, I want to more closely restore it, rather than the usual resto-mod that I would do. Is it worth the effort to keep them,(the original style articulated rods) or should I switch to the 68 style strut rods and lower control arms. If I do go with the 68 style, are the brand new lower control arms good for any other car besides a cougar? Can I sell them, or am I going to have to eat that cost? What do you think? I have extra 68 front end pieces-a-plenty, I can either re-build or just get new LCA's, and use the other 68 strut rods I already have....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I thought all of those were aftermarket pieces? And a good thing to help suspension freedom of travel?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Interesting, you learn something every day! Thanks.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I had the front end redone on my 67 last summer, right before I got ready to come over here to Africa. I found out then, that I had those stupid articulated strut rods.
As my 67 XR7 is a one of two car, I want to more closely restore it, rather than the usual resto-mod that I would do. Is it worth the effort to keep them,(the original style articulated rods) or should I switch to the 68 style strut rods and lower control arms. If I do go with the 68 style, are the brand new lower control arms good for any other car besides a cougar? Can I sell them, or am I going to have to eat that cost? What do you think? I have extra 68 front end pieces-a-plenty, I can either re-build or just get new LCA's, and use the other 68 strut rods I already have....
The 67 mustang and cougar lower control arms are the same except the hole pattern for the articulated strut mounting bracket. When you buy a 67 cougar lower control arm today your really getting a mustang control arm. To use it on a cougar you have to drill another hole because of the mounting angle of the bracket. So yes it could be used on a 67 mustang and no I wouldn't change the articulated strut I would keep the 67 orig. Dispite what others say about them I have not had any trouble with them on a 67 390 Cat. With all the rumors I hear about these I could have built a hotel to put them in. lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If those strut rods/LCA are in good condition keep 'em. But if you need to rebuild either one you may as well just do the '68 style. When i rebuilt the front suspension on my '67 I ditched the articulated strut rods for the '68 style along with control arms just because the repro LCA's are much cheaper.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, it isn't worth the additional hassle to remove the 67's, which are now new, for the 68 style?
OK..

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Didn't Royce have a part number for the articulated bushing replacement a few weeks ago?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts