Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I didn't drive the car to work today but yesterday on the way home, I made a right turn onto my street (right turn down a hill) and the car cutoff and I had to glide in with no power steering to the parking lot at the golf course near my house and restart. I didn't think much of it as I've been fooling with the timing and idle during my lunch break, etc. However, I got home this evening, decided to drive the Cougar to school and church. Got to school without noticing any problems and then to church. Left the church and hit the highway and immediately noticed a weird noise when I turned the car to the right. The car responds like it has manual steering when I turn to the right and makes a low-pitched whine, like a really slow police siren or a bug outside making a noise when I turn right. I got the car to the house and immediately looked under the car to find a pancake sized puddle forming near the oil pan. Got my flashlight and crawled under best I could and determined the fluid was not coming from the oil pan, but there was fluid everywhere on the left side of the undercarriage....power steering gear, oil filter, oil pan, hoses, etc. I'm not sure if it's oil or power steering fluid. I wiped some of it on a rag and it was dark purplish. I turned the car on and ran it for about 5 minutes while watching for the leak under the car. Most of the fluid dripped off the oil pan and oil filter and a round silver housing (fuel pump I think...2 lines leading from it) that is next to the oil filter and under what I believe is the power steering pump, so it seems to be localized to that area. I'm really new to working on engines and cars in general, can anyone give me a hand at diagnosing this or should I try to find a more experienced, reliable mechanic to take a look? The engine is a new rebuilt 351W 4V...Edelbrock performer intake and carb...has 77 Grenada power disc brakes and not sure where the power steering conversion came from.

Shannon

·
Registered
794 Posts
The power steering pump is on the drivers side. It is a round cylinder with a 4-5" filler neck with dipstick. FLuid is red/maron.
It has a output hose in the rear center of pump facing the rear of vehicle. This output hose goes to the power cylinder (attached to steering center link) THis output hose has a fitting that may be loose at pump or power cylinder. There is a return line from power cylinder to the bottom of the p/s pump. Check this also. maybe a hose clamp is loose.
Check your fluid level too. If you are low, the p/s pump will squeal like a stuck pig.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok, let me try this first....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
IT WORKED!!!

the one outlined with the yellow is the pressure hose, that is most likely the one that is leaking. the one that is outlined blue is the return hose. that might be it too so its best to check them both. i bet its just one of these thats causing your leak. hears what i do though... put some sacrificial fluid in the pump... have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look in the suspected area and try and see where its shooting out from. thats low tech, but its how i pinpoint my leaks. oh yeah, heres the unmodified pic so you can see how it is. yes the pic is old and yes, both of those lines have also since been replaced. and remember, if it doesnt leak, its empty :)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial perception is that you two are probably right but I couldn't pinpoint it in the dark last night. However, I did wake up to find the rest of my power steering fluid on the ground, so it's bone dry at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts