1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's a decent price for awesome heads...keep in mind you still gotta pay for the valves/retainers/springs, and what was the defect? IDK.....I'd lowball 'em and see if they would deal a bit more. Keep an eye out on CL/racing junk/etc. you may find better..

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe W in my 69 is very tired. I had posted earlier that I wanted a 393. Then, I got to thinking about it, considering the heads that I bought before I knew as much as I do now. I have a new pair (still in the box, in the plastic) 2.02 TF heads. They aren't big enough for a 393 though. I was hoping to get 95% of my money out of them, and roll that into a new pair that are suitable. I could just suck it up, not spend the money and have a nice, fresh 357 in the car. That would be a good motor, as I have a T5 with hyd. clutch set up waiting to go in. But I think, that for my 69, I really want the bruiser...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Those Dart 225 CNC heads might be a bit much for a street car, especially a smallish 393. Those are more suited for all-out WOT power on a big-inch race motor. That same vendor gets the slightly smaller 210cc Dart Pro-1 CNC heads in once in a while.

Remember that the normal Dart heads 'as cast' use a regular SBF header flange. The CNC version uses the wide-pattern exhaust flange so as to leave room for large-tube headers.

Take a look at this chart to compare a lot of popular SBF cylinder heads. Remember, most of the heads in this chart are un-ported. FWIW, the ported World Windsor Seniors I have on my 393 flow right up there with Eddy Victor Jrs!

Watch what block you use for your 393 or any stroker kit! Many kits cannot be used in the early Windsor blocks due to their 9.480 deck height. Later blocks had a 9.503 deck.

The 393 is fast going the way of the Dodo bird... It came about because of the cheap use of stock Windsor rods and stock cast 302 pistons. The stock-type cast 302 pistons are cheap, but very heavy! This 393W I put together for my '89 Crown Vic five years ago (before this pre-balanced kit was marketed) took a lot of expen$ive Mallory metal to get it to balance. Lots of better kits out there these days. If I were building my motor today, I'd go 408 or 418, and probably forged. Not all that big of a price difference, either!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have to go .060 over for the 393? I have the 69 block...Maybe I need to rethink it all. Again. I don't want another "extra" motor laying around.

·
5,470 Posts
393 is 4.030 bore, and a 3.85" stroke. 408 is 4.030 bore, 4.00" stroke, 418 is 4.030 bore and 4.10" stroke.

There are some stroker kits available from various vendors that will work in your shorter-deck 351W block, but you generally have to ask their tech lines.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am rethinking the stroker kit. Yes, that is what I want, but I'm also not getting any younger. I may have a 357 in my very near future, with the 5 speed, and a 3.89 rear gear. That will be fun, won't it?

·
5,470 Posts
I didn't mean to scare you away from building what you really want. I just wanted to point out that while the TW heads you have now might not be optimal, they will still be better than nothing.

In fact, when I first put together my 393W, it had home-ported E7TE heads, and a Edelbrock Performer EGR intake. BOTH were restricting my power output. Even at that (around 230 rwhp), it was still better than the stock 351 (180hp)! Then I went with the ported Windsor Seniors I subsequently found, and a Performer RPM intake. Now 280hp. MUCH better. Then I upgraded from the hydraulic flat tappet cam to a retrofit hydraulic roller cam. EVEN BETTER!!! 385 rwhp as it sits today.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You didn't scare me off the project, but the 393 is going to be more expensive to build, especially with a roller cam. And I want to finish up these cougar's, so I can get another cougar and my 65 F/B mustang.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's always what you run into going that route Wood --- the machine work etc get's to be very spendy. IDK, I think if you keep prowling for a crate motor that somebody has lost interest/love in you can come out pretty good. SBC's are a dime a dozen, us Ford finatics have to scrape and scrounge. Something will turn up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't be deterred by the TFS TW heads. I have the exact heads on my 398.blah+(.060 bore...I just call it a 400) and they work phenominally. They create a really powerful combination and the stroker build is no more expensive than getting a standard rebuild(kinda). Of course you have to buy a new crank but the rods and pistons are all the same. I would use those TW heads and just purchase some of the TFS forged pistons the sell to give it some more oompf. Bad69cat is right though...sometimes the machine work, mostly balancing, can get spendy, but really could be that way no matter what your combination is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts