Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the Cougar control arms are the same as for Mustangs. Mustangs used the same ones from 64 1/2 through 73. There is quite a weight diffrence between a 64 1/2 mustang with a 289 and a 69 Cougar convertible with a 390, C6 and A/C. I am about to replace control arms # 5 and 6. With an unlimited budget the replacements would be tubular control arms from Global West. Since I have a limited budget I will only go that route if I have to.

Did my sometimes exuberant driving style kill my upper control arms or are they just not strong enough for a heavier model of Cougars ?

Any suggestions for best value ?

I possible I am looking at a package deal since the marks in the oil pan from the center link strongly suggest the front coils are shot too. And the rear leafs have on shackles since 1989.

Thanks for any suggestions:

·
Registered
488 Posts
well, i think you have more problems than you know. i have broken a couple of control arms but i raced with unreinforced arms for years and it wasn't a problem. the only broken ones i have had have all been small block street cars! the dents in the oil pan are another issue, springs will not affect the centerlink contact issue as the centerlink and the engine are bolted to the subframe and do not move with the suspension. if the centerlink is hitting the oil pan you have the wrong pan, broken motor mounts or the towers have sagged. hawkrod

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - my fault re. the oil pan. I was broke 15 years ago when I hit a bump too hard with the original oil pan and replaced it with a generic 390 pan from a junk-yard. Thank you for reminding me of where the parts go in relation to each other. In May the engine and transmission is up for a complete overhaul. I plan on getting a Canton 820 oil pan and will check with them what kind of clearance to expect.

Does the weight difference between small block w/o A/C and a FE with A/C push the control arms to their limits ?

I know the springs are shot, and based on info on this forum I am probably most safe getting them from John Bauman or Eaton.

How do I test for sagging shock towers ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts