Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question came up while I've been trying to locate a LH axle to replace a suspected bent one. I was told by a wrecking yard they've seen more bent axle housings than bent axle shafts on Ford 9" rear ends. No doubt he would rather sell me the whole rear end, but my question is how prevalent a problem is a bent axle housing? Thanks in advance for the relay of any opinion, or experience.

Steve C.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i dont have an answer for that but i still have a housing out of a 70 if you are interested..... :) with axles and brakes of course.... i still need to take pics of the backup chrome...... damn camera batteries died on me today so ill get them tomorrow.....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I raced dirt track cars for a long time and I cant remember bending many housings, but remember replacing several axles. Just pull the axle and have it rotated in a lathe with a dial indicator on it and you'll soon see if you have a bent axle or not. mm

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think its going to take a dial indicator to tell for certain, since I suspect it is a very slight bend. Some vibration at a particular speed, and eats the seal every few hundred miles. I love classic cars. I can't really call this one old any more since most of the major components are new.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 70 had a bent axle housing when I bought it. But the car was in several accidents in it's time. The first it was hit in the right quarter which required quarter replacement, then it was run off the road and knocked out the oil pan, right lower control arm, bent and twisted the steering center link, the cross brace underneath was gone and the transmission bell housing was cracked.
I don't know if the rear got bent in the accident, because another thing was whoever wasn't running tail pipes and had the exhaust pointing right at the axle hosuing on each side of the pumpkin, I doubt it, but maybe if the car was really out of tune, it could have a really hot exhaust coming out and with the weight of the car had caused the rear to warp. I don't know how it happened, but I was the one to fix it---ha ha ha. After all this, no wonder this car doesn't like to hold an alignment. Maybe the 8th time is the charm.
I don't believe that the 9" housing is common to bend, they seem to be known for their strength. The housing is one piece, not pressed in tubes to a cast center.
I had quite a time just finding an axle shaft for my rear. I have a 70 car with a 71 rear, and one of the axles was 70---which is shorter. I had to buy a whole 71 rear just for one axle. To me, that is o-k, 'cause I like having extra parts around. Just make sure a new axle measures the same as your old axle.

p.s. KTM 520EXC???---cool, I am a Husqvarna guy myself.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

Thanks, good to know. I have to postpone my search for a new axle until I return from my Christmas break in Oregon, unless I continue it there of course. By then, I hope the shop has figured out if the painter ruined my power steering pump by running it dry for 10 miles, or if the control valve got damaged because he reversed the hoses (see Control Valve Advice forum). Or, perhaps the brand new Flaming River steering box has built in lash. Anyway, now that most of this restoration is complete, perhaps I'll let myself enjoy a ride on the KTM again.

Steve C.

·
Registered
488 Posts
bent axles

bent axle housings and bent axles two different things. if the axle is bent the wheel will wobble, if the housing is bent the wheel will still turn true in relation to the housing but the two rear wheels will not be parallel to each other and the tires will scuff and wear quickly. hawkrod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts