Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to look this up. My memory is horrible at best but I am pretty sure that from 94-96, the 5.8's that ford was using in the F150s were crossover blocks that used old style cam and lifters but were cast to support roller as ford transitioned their truck line into roller blocks/heads.

I am doing more research but I have a line on a wrecked 96 F150 with a 5.8 in it and I would love to grab it as the base for my 408 build up.

Any input or feedback welcome.

Just as a side note, the wife is going to beat me with a stick for buying another 351 haha, got 1 in the 70 vert, 1 in the 67 and one sitting in the corner just because.... :) I warned her I was after 1 more with a roller set up for the stroker build but I am not so sure how supportive she is going to be. heh.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like the answer is yes. :) Early 94s still had flat tappet stuff but had the support for roller.

This is not at all definitive I am just doing more research and it looks like me meory was correct. (for once).

Feel free to throw in any comments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You want the block casting number to start with F4... That will be a roller-capable block. 1st gen Lightnings (94-up) used flat tappet cams, but used roller blocks, too!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
dont forget the same generation of e- vans, also had the same powerplants

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. The dude selling the truck wants $400 for the motor, trans, rear end and traction bars... I would be a complete idiot not to do it..

Going to try and get it this weekend.

Mark

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
thats a smoking deal ! btw i may interested in the traction bars if the right price and style

1 - 6 of 6 Posts