Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Are the heater controls on a '68 Cougar basically the same as on a Mustang? The reason why I'm asking is if I buy an aftermarket A/C system that is designed to fit on a '68 Mustang (non-factory A/C) and work with its controls, will I be able to make it work with the controls on my non-factory A/C '68 std Cougar? I'm looking at a Vintage Air system.

I don't know anybody with a '68 Mustang or I'd take a look myself. I've looked at pictures of '68 Mustang dashboards on the Internet, and the heater controls look like mine, but it's hard to tell for certain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
They're not "basically" the same, they're exactly the same.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I'm guessing you're considering the Mustang Sure-Fit kit. If so, I believe you would need Mustang controls from a car that has AC. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn the new system on.

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/45.pdf

I also don't know if stock appearing is what you're after. But this system uses vacuum to direct the airflow, just like an original system did. I considered this system until I research and found how much better their Generation II and Generation IV systems are. They are FAR superior since they use electronic servos to direct the air-flow. They are a bit more work to install since they are basically "universal" kits. But the performance is well worth the effort. I have a Generation II in mine and use VA's billet control panel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, guys!

Mark, I read some info you posted here a while back that steered me towards the VA system. I talked with them about a Generation II system already but then saw the Mustang sure-fit kit. I did not realize that it was not a Gen II system and instead used vacuum controls. I think I want the servo-controls.

I believe you said you mounted the vertical controls in the ash tray space. That part might exceed my metal fabrication skills. Plus, I just bought my son's old iPod and joined the iPod generation - I hate to go back to being a geezer again by giving up the lighter socket and the iPod's power source. (Never shoulda told him I once had an 8-track!)

Maybe I can find somewhere else to mount the controls. VA suggested under the dash or in the glove box. Or, mayber I can find another way to power the iPod. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Can't you just hook it up to an AC car's original controls/Vents?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Yes, I was under the assumption at first that the Sure Fit kit was also mechanically a Generation II when it is not. At the time I ordered and installed mine, you could not control a Generation II to work with factory controls. But that might've changed since then... 2002.

Also, I bought the vertical controls because that panel worked best with the way I intended to mount mine. But they have many different styles and layouts of controls, horizontal panels, separate knobs, dials etc.

Absolutely, the glove compartment is an excellent alternative to mount something like that. In fact, my glove comp. has since been rendered USELESS as a glove compartment due to all the components that I have "hiding" in there. The only drawback is that it isn't the easiest to reach from the driver's seat while driving when you want to make adjustments. Maybe consider moving your iPod hook-up there instead.

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting the VA catalog. It shows EVERYTHING they offer and it also has a lot of excellent technical information which really helped me a lot in both planning the system and installing it.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
So use the ashtray for the new controls and, what, use a passenger vent on the drivers side?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I remember it now. Think a March system would be able to make that alternator/compressor switch you talked about?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
They might. I haven't looked any further into it since my car's been on the road. I guess it's something I'll look into for the next rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts