Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Archival XR7-G Prototype Photos

10K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  propayne 
#1 ·
Checked the Ford Images website for any new Cougar additions and saw that they have added some nice studio shots of a XR7-G prototype miss-identified as a GT-E prototype.

Note some of the oddities like the GT-E hood scoop and the '67 6.5 Litre badge (more than likely a '67 Cougar altered to look like a '68).

I've got a b-day coming up so I placed an order :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Press lead times are such that sometimes manufacturers will use the previous years models (if the changes are minor) and alter them for marketing purposes.

For instance if you take a close look at the cover of the dealer brochure for the 1968 Cougar you will see that the Cougars used are actually '67s that Mercury had an artist airbrush '68 side markers on.

Not sure what's going on with the G prototype in the photo, just sorta thinkin' out loud.

Attachments

#4 ·
I really like seeing photos like this. Never noticed the airbrushed side marker lights before. I wonder how many prototype Cougars there were? I remember seeing what looked like this same G car (color combo) but I thought the side marker lights were very narrow. I will check my book Cars of the 60's for the picture I am thinking of.
Steven

#5 ·
The same car is in this picture and all the other XR7-G advertising. Notice the airbrushed out '67 6.5 Litre badges and the retouched hood scoop.

#8 ·
I have a feeling they had more then one vehicle for the photo shoots. I have 3 8x10 black & white photos supposedly from one of the original photo shoots. Two are with Dan Gurney, one with him looking out the sunroof and one very similar to the one propayne posted. The other is of a female model between a standard cougar and the xr7-G. The xr7-G looks more like a 68 then the made over one with Gurney in it. My neighbor actually has a snapshot of the prototype at the 1967 (Dec) Detroit Autorama. This past summer I talked to the owner of the xr7S( he has other significant cougars also) and he said the xr7-G prototypes were destroyed.

#19 ·
I have the post card of the G with the girl model in my photo book of my XR7-G Cougar. Jon and I showed my pictures to the owner of the XR7S and when he got to the post card he lite up and said he remember her and knew her at the time. His words were "she was a very nice gal" I don't know if he meant a nice person or nice looking, but maybe both. As Phil knows I have the original large picture of Gurney with the prototype that was at Ford headquarters. I got it out of the archives sometime ago along with a few 5x7 ones as well. When Jon and I talked to the owner of the XR7S he gave us a lot of information and some neat storys from his days at Ford.

Attachments

#32 ·
Just thought I'd let you know I didn't forget about the photo. I just bought a new printer/scanner and I'm trying to run the ink out of my old printer first. Call me cheap I guess, but I just put two new cartridges in a few weeks back.

Just to correct myself from the quote above, it was the Detroit Auto Show not the Autorama. They have another show right after the Auto Show called the Autorama. The Autorama is were they have all the hot rods and customs. (also a big show)

#12 ·
It looks like one of the photos has a brown vinyl top and the other has a black. It might just be me but it is sad that prototypes get destroyed. I am glad the XR-7S survived, I would love to see more photos of it. Maybe some day it will be out in public for viewing. I think these photos are great. The Cougars and cars from this era had great style.

#13 ·
Also, in the first picture in the thread, the center caps appear to have the Mercury head on them and it has been removed - or airbrushed out - in all of the examples that followed.

#15 ·
Propayne, were did you get the pic of Dan Gurney standing by the car in post #14. It looks like the same pic as the motorsports calendar. Reason why asked is that's the same one I bought about 10 years ago and I was told that was the original from the photoshoot.Hmmmm, did I get taken? That pic is a little different then the one in post #7.

#16 ·
Jon, the b/w of Gurney is an over sized lazar jet/printout copy, not an original print. I picked it up at Carlisle years ago. I would love the real thing.

You could have an original print but unless you purchased the original (and only) negative of that shot then unlimited high quality prints could be made by the owner of that neg.

Phillip

#21 ·
This is the best I can do with what I have. These are actually close ups that I took of the over sized color print that Brian has. Thanks Brian!

These are some interesting custom touches that I guess were being considered for the G. The side marker lights are narrow and flush mounted. The rear one has a chrome running cat mounted on it and the front with three bars.

The emblem mounted behind the front wheel is hard to make out. Looks like some text (Cougar XR7-G?) then some sort of graphic reversed out.

Also notice the different front valance with Marchal fog lights.

To my eyes, this custom work smacks of the Alexander Brothers.

Attachments

#22 ·
From what I could make out the emblem by the lower rocker panel has "Gurney" in the chrome area and a red block in front with the "G" (Gurney G).

#23 ·
Just a little off topic for second. Hey Brian I'm still waiting for a "Joe" to call me for that breakfast at that restaurant. Maybe I should call him? I still can't keep a smile off my face thinking of Dave's face (70b302cat) when he "Joe" was talking. From total blank, to disbelief,too roll the eye's, too WTF? Hehehehe I think that's everybody's first impression when the meet him. He is a card, but a truly nice guy.

#24 ·
Yeah if I wouldn't have know his back ground my expresions would have been the same as Dave's. When I first started talking to him I thought WTF he is off on some tangent that I'm not following and he does kind of jumps around on different topics when he talks. Really had to pay attention to catch some of the stuff he is talking about. I'm glad we were both there to re hash and research and figure out all he was talking about. Neat old guy that is fun to talk to and yeah, call him out on his breakfast invite. I'm glad my son was there as well, he got a living history lesson that you can't teach in school. Jon, I'll e-mail sometime next week as their is a couple of things to discuss. OK back to a G topic....

#25 ·
I did get to see his Ranger as it was parked over by my trailer. Definitely someone you will not forget!

#30 ·
It is a GT-E design proposal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.