Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the Ford Images website for any new Cougar additions and saw that they have added some nice studio shots of a XR7-G prototype miss-identified as a GT-E prototype.

Note some of the oddities like the GT-E hood scoop and the '67 6.5 Litre badge (more than likely a '67 Cougar altered to look like a '68).

I've got a b-day coming up so I placed an order :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
But it has the 68 marker lights and rear reflectors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Press lead times are such that sometimes manufacturers will use the previous years models (if the changes are minor) and alter them for marketing purposes.

For instance if you take a close look at the cover of the dealer brochure for the 1968 Cougar you will see that the Cougars used are actually '67s that Mercury had an artist airbrush '68 side markers on.

Not sure what's going on with the G prototype in the photo, just sorta thinkin' out loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I really like seeing photos like this. Never noticed the airbrushed side marker lights before. I wonder how many prototype Cougars there were? I remember seeing what looked like this same G car (color combo) but I thought the side marker lights were very narrow. I will check my book Cars of the 60's for the picture I am thinking of.
Steven

·
11,000 Posts
The same car is in this picture and all the other XR7-G advertising. Notice the airbrushed out '67 6.5 Litre badges and the retouched hood scoop.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully Ford will make available those studio shots they have with Dan posing with the G prototype.

Here is a more detailed scan from the same LM Sales and Marketing brochure that Royce posted. They forgot to remove the 6.5 Litre badges in this shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like seeing photos like this. Never noticed the airbrushed side marker lights before. I wonder how many prototype Cougars there were? I remember seeing what looked like this same G car (color combo) but I thought the side marker lights were very narrow. I will check my book Cars of the 60's for the picture I am thinking of.
Steven
Steven, here is the G prototype you are thinking of.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have a feeling they had more then one vehicle for the photo shoots. I have 3 8x10 black & white photos supposedly from one of the original photo shoots. Two are with Dan Gurney, one with him looking out the sunroof and one very similar to the one propayne posted. The other is of a female model between a standard cougar and the xr7-G. The xr7-G looks more like a 68 then the made over one with Gurney in it. My neighbor actually has a snapshot of the prototype at the 1967 (Dec) Detroit Autorama. This past summer I talked to the owner of the xr7S( he has other significant cougars also) and he said the xr7-G prototypes were destroyed.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jon, any way you could get a nice hi-res scan of your neighbor's snapshot of the G at the Detroit Autorama?

That would be a great pic to see.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Propayne, I'll see what I can do. It's just a small b & w photo but he told me before I was more then welcome to borrow it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It looks like one of the photos has a brown vinyl top and the other has a black. It might just be me but it is sad that prototypes get destroyed. I am glad the XR-7S survived, I would love to see more photos of it. Maybe some day it will be out in public for viewing. I think these photos are great. The Cougars and cars from this era had great style.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also, in the first picture in the thread, the center caps appear to have the Mercury head on them and it has been removed - or airbrushed out - in all of the examples that followed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Propayne, were did you get the pic of Dan Gurney standing by the car in post #14. It looks like the same pic as the motorsports calendar. Reason why asked is that's the same one I bought about 10 years ago and I was told that was the original from the photoshoot.Hmmmm, did I get taken? That pic is a little different then the one in post #7.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon, the b/w of Gurney is an over sized lazar jet/printout copy, not an original print. I picked it up at Carlisle years ago. I would love the real thing.

You could have an original print but unless you purchased the original (and only) negative of that shot then unlimited high quality prints could be made by the owner of that neg.

Phillip

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cool pic!!! Nice find!!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Jon, the b/w of Gurney is an over sized lazar jet/printout copy, not an original print. I picked it up at Carlisle years ago. I would love the real thing.

You could have an original print but unless you purchased the original (and only) negative of that shot then unlimited high quality prints could be made by the owner of that neg.

Phillip
Yup, must have seen me coming. Still a nice photo though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a feeling they had more then one vehicle for the photo shoots. I have 3 8x10 black & white photos supposedly from one of the original photo shoots. Two are with Dan Gurney, one with him looking out the sunroof and one very similar to the one propayne posted. The other is of a female model between a standard cougar and the xr7-G. The xr7-G looks more like a 68 then the made over one with Gurney in it. My neighbor actually has a snapshot of the prototype at the 1967 (Dec) Detroit Autorama. This past summer I talked to the owner of the xr7S( he has other significant cougars also) and he said the xr7-G prototypes were destroyed.
I have the post card of the G with the girl model in my photo book of my XR7-G Cougar. Jon and I showed my pictures to the owner of the XR7S and when he got to the post card he lite up and said he remember her and knew her at the time. His words were "she was a very nice gal" I don't know if he meant a nice person or nice looking, but maybe both. As Phil knows I have the original large picture of Gurney with the prototype that was at Ford headquarters. I got it out of the archives sometime ago along with a few 5x7 ones as well. When Jon and I talked to the owner of the XR7S he gave us a lot of information and some neat storys from his days at Ford.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have noticed that at the bottom rocker area on the front quarters it looks like there is an emblem there. Is there a close up picture of this area or does anyone know what emblem was going to be used.
Steven

1 - 20 of 41 Posts