Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have read I had a major issue with TCI and their nonoperable mail order AOD trans. I've yet to receive my money back from them at this writing. But the good news is that I had a local trans shop install my new AOD tranny and the cat is running nice again. I have to put 500 break-in miles on it before I can start pounding it hard but the numbers at the pump are looking great.

I averaged 11 - 13 mpg's on the old C4 trans, so I wasn't expecting too much and hoped for about 15. Well two tanks later I'm getting a consistent 19 mpg's; way better than I imagined. I still have to get used to the fact that the cat has long legs now; but the shop said that once I get the adjustments made it should take off just like I want with only a slight loss in mileage.

I'm totally stoked and can't wait to take it on a road trip to visit my in-laws in Iowa. Next on my to do list is getting more hp out of the 351w. I'm hoping for about 375 without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
913 Posts
What rear gear are you turning with the AOD?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What rear gear are you turning with the AOD?
I had a locking rearend installed and eventually went with 3:50 gears instead of 3:73's. With the C4 the car jumped out the blocks; now with the AOD I don't get that kick in the rear I was used to and the kickdown seems to be non existent. I'm hoping to get some of the excitement back when the trans is final adjusted. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the AOD I just want to be able to smoke the tires every now and then.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Did you have a higher-than-stock stall converter in your C-4? That could explain the difference in off-line acceleration. It might also explain your poor MPGs behind the C-4.

3.73 to 3.50 isn't a huge swap, only a 6-7% difference, but even at that, that alone would account for a 1 MPG increase or so.

Another thing to consider is that there is no converter slippage with an AOD in D or OD. So not only do you have the .67 OD ratio, making your 3.50s feel like 2.34s in OD, you have the mechanical lockup as well to help explain the dramatic increase in gas mileage!

·
Registered
120 Posts
All I know with these gas prices I know you are happy with the 6-8 MPG increase!!!!! If I make my cat a daily driver like I'm thinking I will i'm going to do the same thing...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I had a locking rearend installed and eventually went with 3:50 gears instead of 3:73's. With the C4 the car jumped out the blocks; now with the AOD I don't get that kick in the rear I was used to and the kickdown seems to be non existent. I'm hoping to get some of the excitement back when the trans is final adjusted. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the AOD I just want to be able to smoke the tires every now and then.

I've noticed the same thing on mine - my 60' time will be way off what they were withthe FMX I bet..? When it's cold it seems to have better out of the box torque. I still wouldn't trade it for anything except a manual OD trans if I did it again. Getting great mileage and hearing myself think is way worth it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would recommend increasing the line pressure, adjustable with the tv cable. It will shift a little harder, and its better for longevity. Aod transmissions like more pressure. It will kick down more positively as well. A few pounds too little will cause them to expire very prematurely. I'm new here, so I'm not familiar with your scenario, but based on the original post, it sounds like you have already had less than desirable experiences with this conversion. A few extra psi will prevent any more, and you'll love the difference in the way it shifts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would recommend increasing the line pressure, adjustable with the tv cable. It will shift a little harder, and its better for longevity. Aod transmissions like more pressure. It will kick down more positively as well. A few pounds too little will cause them to expire very prematurely. I'm new here, so I'm not familiar with your scenario, but based on the original post, it sounds like you have already had less than desirable experiences with this conversion. A few extra psi will prevent any more, and you'll love the difference in the way it shifts.
I only have 200 more miles to go before its final adjusted. Jeff at the install shop said basically the same thing, he'll adjust the trans based on how I want the car to respond. I'm more than happy with the AOD my engine doesn't whine at high speed like the C4 did. If I lose 2 or 3 mpg's but get the kickdown feature back I'll be very happy. Thanks for the information.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AODs are VERY sensitive to the correct line pressure. They do NOT have a kickdown!

Line pressure is adjusted with the TVS rod/cable that everybody ASSumes is a kickdown - it is not!!!! AODs need a certain line pressure to operate correctly, otherwise with too low of a idle line pressure, you risk frying the trans! You'll fry an AOD in less than 200 miles!!! You put a gauge on the test port and adjust the TVS to the proper reading.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
With the C4 the car jumped out the blocks; now with the AOD I don't get that kick in the rear I was used to
Something doesn't sound right. The 1st gear in the AOD and C4 are too close to cause this. So to me it sounds like your trans is starting in 2nd gear. Do you have a tach? Record some RPM and MPH and post up.
If the "kickdown" is not working then the TV cable is not correct. If it is not set correctly you won't get downshift on full throttle and the trans will start out wrong and you'll up with a burnt AOD. :(

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something doesn't sound right. The 1st gear in the AOD and C4 are too close to cause this. So to me it sounds like your trans is starting in 2nd gear. Do you have a tach? Record some RPM and MPH and post up.
If the "kickdown" is not working then the TV cable is not correct. If it is not set correctly you won't get downshift on full throttle and the trans will start out wrong and you'll up with a burnt AOD. :(
I had a very competent shop do the install. I'll be seeing them in about 2 or 3 weeks to get the trans final adjusted. If something blows up or goes wrong they will fix it under warranty. Jeff told me on day 2 that they "set it up" not to be as aggressive as I was used to, that will be sorted out in a few weeks. I posted the question here so I could get the input of you guys who do this type of stuff for fun; me I have to open my wallet for the more detailed and technical jobs on my car. Thank you all again for your informative words.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts