Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was moving my 89 AOD transmission and when I took it out of my truck bed, I looked down and the input shaft was sticking way out. It just slid all the way out when I pulled on it. I found it odd, but maybe other transmissions do it that way, I just never pulled on the shaft like that (hehe, you can't hear me but I am sophmore-ishly giggling at what I just typed!)
Is this right? Guess it doesn't matter when it's all put together, it's captured and the splines on each end do their job.

Kevin

·
Registered
913 Posts
You should be careful when pulling on your shaft, you may damage it, LOL, but seriously, the AOD shafts do slide out and have splines on both ends.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah, I think they are a bit jiggly, but as you may know they are also the achilles heel of the AOD's, which is why they offer hardened ones in the aftermarket, or you can go to a non-lockup set up if you want.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, good point. If I can just slide in the hardened shaft, that's too easy for me not to do it for peace of mind (somewhat mild street application anyway).

P.S. Still giggling!

Kevin

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yeppers, AOD inner input shaft is what transfers the power in Third and OD (anytime the trans is in 'lockup'). The stock inner input shaft is good for around 450 lb/ft torque, and aftermarker hardened inner shafts are good for around 550 lb/ft torque. For just about any car that is running 14s, the stock shaft is fine, but quicker than that, and you're talking hardened inner shaft or doing without lockup. Just for the record, my 4000-pound '89 Crown Vic is running 13.06s (and soon somewhere in the 12s) with a hardened inner shaft and only 3.55 rear gears, albeit with the 4R70W wide-ratio gearset in the trans... Even at 'only' 13.06 @ 106mph, according to HP calculators that figure car weight/ET/MPH, I'm putting around 400HP to the ground, and about 480+ at the crank!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts