Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m putting a 89 AOD transmission out of a 5.0 Mustang into my 71 302 and I was wondering what year flywheel and torque converter to use for this swap? Thanks for any help.
David Robertson

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
IIRC, you can use a C-4 flexplate from any early Mustang or an AOD flexplate from just about any 351W/5.8L. The 5.0/AOD flexplate will be 50oz, you want 28oz balance... as for converter, any AOD with the proper bolt pattern will be fine...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, you can use a C-4 flexplate from any early Mustang or an AOD flexplate from just about any 351W/5.8L. The 5.0/AOD flexplate will be 50oz, you want 28oz balance... as for converter, any AOD with the proper bolt pattern will be fine...
Thanks for the great information!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Be sure to choose a converter that matches you current (or planned) cam/gear ratio's - it will help dramatically in overall performance....now is the time to get it right. There is a good write up on AOD swap on here in a PDF I think... my FMX flexplate worked out just fine, I ended up making my own cross member/fluid lines/linkage. I got a Lokar cable kit for the TV - be sure to plan you cable run around headers/etc to make sure you have clearance before you cut it to fit! I just about cut it to short .....also you will likely have to lose 1" off the drivshaft - it will fit, but won't have any room to fluctuate. Check it carefully first....

·
5,470 Posts
Be sure to choose a converter that matches you current (or planned) cam/gear ratio's -
^^^ What he said ^^^ BUT look at which way the 'bend' goes at the ring gear. C-6 is different than C-4/FMX/AOD. Then there is the converter bolt pattern issue. Most are 11.5", but Q-code 351-4V/C-6s used a unique bolt pattern to go along with the 10.25" high-stall converter!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Be sure to choose a converter that matches you current (or planned) cam/gear ratio's - it will help dramatically in overall performance....now is the time to get it right. There is a good write up on AOD swap on here in a PDF I think... my FMX flexplate worked out just fine, I ended up making my own cross member/fluid lines/linkage. I got a Lokar cable kit for the TV - be sure to plan you cable run around headers/etc to make sure you have clearance before you cut it to fit! I just about cut it to short .....also you will likely have to lose 1" off the drivshaft - it will fit, but won't have any room to fluctuate. Check it carefully first....
hmmmm ... myne fit perfectly ( with the 92 tailshaft ) ........ ( I can't remember the exact procedure for measuring, but I followed it to a tee )

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, that's why you want to eyball it first - there seem to be some variances in tailshaft lenghts.....mine was a 98 out of a Van I think

·
Registered
267 Posts
yup ... totally makes sense ... myne was from a 92 mustang 5.0 convertible ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dudes, I am looking at sticking an AOD behind my 68 302 where the C4 used to be. Sounds like the flex plate will work... bolt pattern to the 302 good? Looking at a 500/275 lift/duration set up. What converter would be good? Never had an auto in a fun car before...

·
5,470 Posts
You might want to go with a bit looser converter when doing an AOD swap - because the converter is 'locked' when in D and OD anyway. You'll probably want a 2400rpm stall, maybe a bit more if going a bit wilder on your camshaft selection. Remember also that an AOD has a .67:1 OD ratio, so a 3.00 rear gear will act like a 2.00 in OD! Turning the engine that slow might lug the engine down too far! Heck, with my 3.55 rear gears, the engine is only turning about 1800rpm in OD with a 27" tire at 60mph!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Only to add to the confusion - there are lots of ways to go with AOD's.....lock/non-lock, AODE, even swaping AODE stuff into AOD case....various valve bodies/mods, etc. You can spend a big chunk real quick, so do your homework and decide what way you want to drive it most, and fit the trans around your needs. Work all pieces into equation cam to rearend - I fell short on my 60 ft times when I went AOD but now that I don't race anymore (pulled awesome on top end), I am pretty happy with it overall.....best driving improvement you can make IMO. I'm kicking the idea around of going to T56 at some point, since mine was a 4 spd car to start with....gotta get my $ worth out of this one for awhile though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts