Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a problem using the existing floor console in my 67 with an aod transmission. I think the aod is longer than a c4 but not sure if shifter is also back further.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think you'll be OK. Only about 1" difference - you may have to cut the driveshaft though, but get it in there and verify first. Seems like it may depend on what application the trans came from that makes a diff....you will need to have a new cross member (or make/modify one), and if it was from a column shift car - you may need to rotate the selector 180 degrees (Before it goe into the car!) which requires opening it up and messing with the vavle body so be cautious on how it goes back together. You will also need a TV cable of some type....(I used the Lokar kit)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Myne. ... From a 92 mustang fit perfectly (after measuring, i verified that,my 67 stock driveshaft was a perfect fit with the 92 yoke) ... No driveshaft cutting was necesary in my case. ... But, aod "tail housings" do come in different lengths. ....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
that's almost exact setup I have if ya get out this way give me a shout and see for yourself......I have mixed feelings because I didn't match the cam to the stall to well (I used FMX previously) so I lost some 60 ft time - but she absolutley pulls hard in the upper RPM band!! All in all I'm happy - take you cam specs into account with final ratio before you buy a convertor! Then you will be very happy with it.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
1bad67cat,

Based on my car's actual dragstrip results, I have 480+hp at the crank with a 351W-based 393W stroker and AOD. Provided your AOD is built to handle the torque (not HP since torque is the limiting factor in a trans), the AOD will be just fine... Stock AOD can handle ~450 lb/ft or so, with a hardened inner input shaft available from the aftermarket figure around 550, or with a one-piece input shaft -and losing converter lockup (or using an electronic lockup 4R70W) - can handle 700 lb/ft torque. It all depends on what you want to do!

BTW, my relatively mild 393W and wide-ratio AOD (wider ratio 4R70W gearset in a mechanically-controlled AOD case) is running through a 3.55 8.8" rear in my 4000-pound '89 Crown Vic, and turns 13.06 @ 106 ! ...and I hope to get it well into the 12s with a little tweaking! I figure a converter swap from 2500 to 3200 and losing 200-pounds of front power seat mechanism should get me there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing a efi 302 and aod swap with a donor car as we speak. I was wondering if anyone has used the console and shifter in there 68 cougar if so is there pics? My donor car is a 1992 mustang.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts