Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 Standard 302 2v that I use as a daily driver. I've had the engine redone with a 4 barrell and a bigger cam in the last year and a half. My C4 is about ready for a rebuild and the rear end is starting to grind a little. So I've decided to upgrade. I've priced an AOD that I'm going to have a trusted mechanic put it in and I just want to make sure that the conversion isn't too big of a change. Other than the possible drive shaft length, Will the AOD bolt on to my 302? Any help is appreciated because I'm carpooling with my wife until it's done...

Thanks so much. I love this house you've built Logan.

Brian

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive too pondered this before, but i have a 351W. will the AOD take the extra power of the engine without going boom?? if its not that big a hassle, i may go ahead and do it. i want to upgrade the rear gears on the car, but i want to drive it on the freeway without making my ears ring anymore. by the way, where in southern Cali are you??? i dont see alot of Cougars around here. ( i know they exist though )

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ahh, cool. im north of Long beach but South of LA. theres a few Cougar guys on here in the San Diego area though

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here's some info I got from WVCAT, this is for a cleveland, but I think the bell housing bolt patterns are the same. Hope this helps.

The AOD is almost a bolt in swap. I put one into wvcat last winter with only minor obstacles. First my car is a 70 but the swap should be the same. Ok here goes, the AOD will bolt right up to your block but you will need the block plate and converter to go with it. I was able to reuse my stock FMX flywheel with no modifications. The starter bolts are in the same location but the top hole will have threads on the block and the starter. I drilled my starter housing hole out and reused my existing starter. One of the FMX cooling lines line right up the other is too short. The stock shifter can be reused but it has a different amount of travel. Mine worked out with park in the normal position and low in the second position. The stock speedometer cable lines right up but you will have to change the gear to match your gear ratio. I am using a 21 tooth gear with 3:73's and 275/60/15 tires. My drive shaft also worked but you will need the yoke that matches the AOD or one from a top loader. That’s all the easy stuff, here’s the challenge. You will need to fabricate a crossmember,I made mine out of 1 1/2 square tubing. I also know someone that makes them but his wouldn't work with my exhaust so I made one.
One more thing.... when you buy the trans get one from a 89 or newer stang with a 5.0. The newer transmissions have improved oiling and the stang trans has the correct lever on the side but it will need pulled out and rotated 180 degrees. The only thing else you need is a throttle cable, I am using a Lokar cable(69.95 at you friendly speed shop). I also installed a bauman engineering shift kit.
If you need any other questions answered I'd be glad to help.
John
wvcat
http://www.geocities.com/wvxr7cougar/wvcat_01.html

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I only have a couple things to add. My car wasn't originally a c4 it was an fmx so that may effect your driveshaft, flywheel, and speedo geer selection. If you have to change the flywheel make sure you get on with the proper balance(or unbalance).
As far as drivability goes, I drove mine to the cougar nationals and had no problems at all. As a matter of fact its kinda nice cruizing 60 at 1700 rpm's.
One cool thing about the bauman shift kit is I can spin thru 1st, hit second spinning ans chirp drive, which is around 60-70 mph. I have never had the car fast enough for a wot od shift.
John
wvcat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts