Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Hope someone can help. I swapped out my c4 trans with an AOD on my 68. I wanna use my stock shifter with it . Problem is I can't find the conversion linkage & rod . Summit & Jegs are out of stock till June. I can't wait that long . Has anyone come across a fix for this ?

· Registered
139 Posts
The parts you need are made by Lokar, they are sold by many other retailers. Try searching using that name.

· Registered
28 Posts
I thought about converting my C4 to the AOD, but the conversion kits are a little too pricey and too many mods to the car for me just to get the OD. I drove it a couple of hundred thousand miles with the C4 when I was younger, and the C4 will have to take me to the final rest stop I suppose. I've been more tempted to go to a manual; I did that in my DD foxbody mustang and it is so much more fun than the automatic. Did you buy a conversion kit, or did you do it piece-by-piece?

· Registered
114 Posts
Swapping out the FMX for an AOD was one of the best things I did for my 69 Cat. I know there are many options regarding which transmission from a particular year of car/truck ect ect...... I wanted to do this transmission swap just the one time, so I took a bit more of the expensive route and bought a professionally built AOD from Lentech. I have their Street Terminator taking the options of a 2200 stall converter, a Wide Ratio gear set (tighter first and second gear) and Lokar transmission lever. It's a good AOD, reasonably straight forward installation and, so far, no issues.

There's lots more I could say about it all, however, more to the point of this thread.......I didn't buy a kit, just buying only what I needed as I was able to reuse the FMX spacer and flexplate. The shifter link I just fabricated......that's just part of the fun. 3/8 round stock mild steel from home depot, a basic tap and die set, 3/8 Heim female rod ends from your favorite auto shop, two jam nuts, a vice, a blow torch and a BFH. Bend up a coat hanger to map out what you need and you're good to go.

Attachments

· Registered
68 Cougar, 351W, Holley EFI, 4R70W Trans
17 Posts
I did pretty much as Artic Cat.. Only difference is I went with a 4R70W AOD Trans.. I just picked up a new mid-plate and 164 tooth flex-plate, longer bolts to bolt Trans to Engine (Trans flange is thinker) and custom made the shift linkage.. One thing to keep in mind with 4R70W it requires a ECU to control it.. That's primarily the reason I went that route.. I now have full control over when it shifts how hard it shifts and the best part is the ECU I picked up lets me save multiple shift configs. that you can toggle between while your driving.. So I have a sporty higher RPM firm no slip option and a more factory smooth cruise shift option on a small toggle switch..

Bucknasty, you just need to be creative.. Use the original shift rod and bend it to what you need.. Take a piece of metal plate and create the shift lever to connect the rod to shift trans.. I wish you luck..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts