Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Oh boy here we go. You are going to get lots of feedback on this one I am thinking. There area couple here who have run them and liked them There are always a few comments around the net from the "I had a buddy who ........ and they are total junk". I ignore those. You didn't use it first hand, don't mean anything to me. They are cheap in price and are always going to be bad mouthed by those who have paid more for something else. I ran into this on a jeep forum on Harbor Freight winches. There was a guy who went out of his way to derail purchases even though he had never owned one, knew of one, or witnessed the use of them. He had however paid 5 times more for a Warn. That was five years ago and that harbor freight winch is still working perfectly on my Jeep and will for years to come. Anyway the point I am trying to make is watch the feedback and separate the opinions from the facts. I bought a similar set based on the "yes I have actually used them" feedback I got when I started looking. I have not run the engine yet so I cannot tell you good or bad.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Then again I have bought 3 chop saws at HF - none of them made more than about 10-15 cuts!! Only one of them was under warranty.....A Dewalt saw would have been about $20 more in the first place. Ya get what you pay for......
I'm not familiar with those heads, but with the time money and effort going into the motor I'd check around before committing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
you only get what you pay for
china made heads are a great value for the dollar
but again you get what you pay for
my boss had bought a set of these for is 347
they are working ok
the rocker geomertry is alittle off
we ended up useing sbc rockers and rocker studs from
summitt and had to rework ford guide plates to make everything line up correctly
if money is the only issue , go for it
I my self would wait for a set of trick flows or afr's to go on sale

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
you only get what you pay for
china made heads are a great value for the dollar
but again you get what you pay for
my boss had bought a set of these for is 347
they are working ok
the rocker geomertry is alittle off
we ended up useing sbc rockers and rocker studs from
summitt and had to rework ford guide plates to make everything line up correctly
if money is the only issue , go for it
I my self would wait for a set of trick flows or afr's to go on sale
I was going to say I have heard things about valve geometry problems with Chinese heads.

On a related note, I am fairly certain that had I used another brand of roller rocker than Procomp on my 351C, I likely would not have had to change (radically) the pushrod length in order to get good tip contact pattern.

·
11,000 Posts
Looks like there is corrosion all over them. Maybe they are used as a corrosion loss anode during the trip over from Chinukistan?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I was going to say I have heard things about valve geometry problems with Chinese heads.

On a related note, I am fairly certain that had I used another brand of roller rocker than Procomp on my 351C, I likely would not have had to change (radically) the pushrod length in order to get good tip contact pattern.
You either buy good parts or you futz with a canted valve engine to get it right, Bob. I'm convinced that Briggs and Stratton have a higher quality assurance program than Pro-Comp.

For people who are looking for proven, consistent, and reliable performance, with a company standing behind them, these heads aren't the product.
For hobbyists just looking to bling up the car a bit, yeah these can work. Unless you get the set that cause problems and have the know how to spot those problems before initial startup.
Swapping heads isn't playing with Lego's(tm).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I know that these head conversations can get a little opinionated but I'm pretty clear on how I feel about the cut rate heads. Yeah they are poor china knock offs and yes, there are people who get bad castings and have geometry issues, no question. On the other side of the coin you can sometimes get these heads under $500 a set and at that price it's not even worth attempting to do anything on an old set of heads. I have been looking for a used set of aluminum heads for 2 years now. Cheapest price I've seen is $850 for some Edelbrock ones used. I can get the Edelbrock 351 heads new through my parts guys for just under $900 so not paying $850 for used heads.

I've got 3 sets of alternative heads. GT40Ps, E7Ts and a set of 69 351 stock heads. To do any machining on these heads of any kind will cost well over $400. Way I see it you can buy a cheap set of questionable knock offs for $500, fiddle around with them and get a decent flowing smallblock head rolling. The other way is to get a set of old 2V cleveland heads off a 351M or 400M after 76 (proper seats) and block off the old water passage and drill a new water passage and grab one of the new "Clevor" intakes. I am really wanting to try this setup out. Got to watch the clevor setup though as the valve angles on the cleveland are very different than the windsor and you will want to check and double check the clearancing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have no personal experience with these heads. That being said, when it comes to parts like these and machine work, you usually get what you pay for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts