Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't know anyone in my neck of the woods, has some interesting tuning features, wide band O2...this to my knowledge is a collaboration between Retrotek and Professional Products...which I believe is mostly made in China or at least the manufacturing process...just do some research, check how available replacement parts are.
Case and point: The Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI's have GM and Ford part numbers so if you have a problem on the road you can drop by any Napa or Kragen and get what you need..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The Cleveland guru, George Pence, was recommending one of these over on the Cleveland forum and spoke highly of them. He also warned, however, that if your engine makes less than 10 inches of vacuum, it will not work properly. This is the case with any bolt on type injection systems. If your engine makes less than 10 inches of vacuum, you would need a multi port system with the injectors in the intake near the intake port of the head, like the modern 5.0 stuff. But, if you are making more than 10 inches, it is a good system from what I hear.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For a few hundred dollars more you can buy the Msd or the fast system. It would have to be a big difference in price to get me to try it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I'm eventually going to be going with a self-learning system. Right now I'm leaning toward the F.A.S.T system. But I'm constatly educating myself on the different systems.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ouch - it would run me about 2,500 to run that setup - with a fuel on demand module. Pretty slick looking setup and sounds fairly painless execpt for the wallet.....have to keep an eye out for a used system to pop up before I could take the plunge. I don't see where it has anything for temp variances though? Not that I would drive in the winter much, but curious how it would hold up under cold conditions?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
It would simply adjust the mixture using the O2 sensor for cold/hot since the engine would lean/rich according to temp.

I was gonna say what Mike said.

The Holley ProJection system is what I'd rather use for a stock engine around the 302 or 351W range.

But, at this point, you can get stock Ford EFI pars from the junkyard (upper, lower, harness) for less money. If wiring is the issue, then the Holley kit ain't bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Projection-2D-EFI-System-502-20s-/350510703977?hash=item519c10e569&item=350510703977&pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr $600 or so for a 2v unit that will flow up to 600+cfm.

Off the shelf replacement parts too.
The self-contained unit isn't a bad deal though. It's been featured by some mags and tested okay on Power Tour.
I just don't trust it... like, where do I get that wee little board and processor when it fries? :uhoh:

You measure vacuum in inches with a vacuum gauge. Measurements will be in/Hg (inches of Mercury - the element not the glorious Ford brand)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts