Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago 68 Kat had a little traffic mishap. I posted pictures of the somewhat minor (2900.00) damage. I have a mechanical question regarding the impact and the C6 transmission:

After the accident, second gear isn't there. It will extend the rpms in first gear and then shift directly into third. While driving it to the repair shop (if anyone else in MN is looking for a good one, send me an email at [email protected]) I tried downshifting from third to second. All I got was a quick trip to the redline and it didn't engage.

It's the original C6 and has around 130k miles.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well the car I just bought was parked because it was doing that. But it's an FMX, not a C-6. FMX aparently did that more so than not, so I've been told.. If I wasn't trying to keep this original, I'd change it out.
Willie

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
The problem has to do with the 2nd gear servo not engaging for some reason. I have experienced this on multiple flavors of Ford trannies.

I hypothesize that what may have happened is that the shock may have dislodged the servo anchor.

Without 2nd gear the tranny doesn't know any better and just applies power. The power path gives you first in absence of 2nd...simple and complex in the same breath.

Let us know the diagnosis...

BD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well on mine, goes to shift up, and goes into "nothingness" and coasts, but if I drop the shifter back to 1, it will go back to 1. If I power up to 40 in first, pop into netural, and into drive, it's in 3rd. Stays there until I stop. Mine however is going to be a while before I get it fixed, have to sell a few other toys first and now we just bought a new "house water purification-filtration system" to the tune of $2500... (need the "points" so I can keep my projects)
:1poke:
Willie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts