Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have, what did you use (Dynacorn parts?) and how did it go? Some say cougar and mustang are the same other claim they are very different.
Any info would be appreciated.
thanks
James

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I posted back to you on this topic on another thread James, but here it is again, the outers are most certainly different. Inners could be the same, I am not sure. But outers, I am very sure. The main difference is by the rockers, the Cougar ones have accomodation for the rocker molding clip stud, the mustang ones have no such accomodation and if you have or plan to use rocker moldings, you will have a problem with the rear clips because of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everybody,
Time for an update post. The inner and outer drivers side I tried were Dynacorn parts (from CJ pony parts), they are nice pieces but not even close to the Cougar shape. The inner is ~1 inch narrower and the arc is not big enough so you would have to splice in a vertical piece in the middle. Also the curve at the front is not the same.
The outer is even more challenging as it's curve is also not big enough and it does not follow the quarter panel wheel lip profile so it would have to be cut up to make that work. I didn't spend too much time on this, I would have been willing to make serious mods to the outer if the inner worked but considering all the work required just for the inner I think I would rather spend the time patching my existing wheel houses.
One would think there would be a good market for reproduction Cougar wheel houses, I'd happily pay double or triple what the Mustang pieces go for.
Good luck everybody
James

·
Registered
41 Posts
Patching is the best option I think. After having done the wheel houses on my 72 mustang. The repops where close but I still had to make major adjustments. Good luck. It's worth it in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Best thing to do is purchase a set from a cougar vendor, mainly WCCC .They`ll cut out what you need and all you will have to do is break out the drill for countersink holes and spot weld cutter and remove the excess metal and fit it to your application. I too tried using mustang inner and outer wheelhouses and they don't even come close. A waste of time and money IMHO. Go with cougar parts I know cutting up a good car is hard to do but its the only way to get the right fit for the quarter panel.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, Don Rush at West Coast Classic is going to send me some grade B wheel houses. I can get grade A but they would come with the trunk floors for an additional $400 but I have already purchased new trunk floors from John's Classic Cougars.
cheers
James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting this stuff. I'm in the same boat as far as wheelwells. My gut told me don't buy those mustang parts! I'm glad I checked this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts