·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Hawk,
Am I correct in my belief that the 10X2 1/2" brakes were also on station wagons? I seem to remember reading that some were.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kind of sort of! the 66-72 fairlane wagons do have the bigger brakes but they are not the same drums as the shelby's. they will work and i have used them. the other ford wagons have different size wheel bearings so the backing plates won't fit our axles (a heck of a lot of people have tried though! one guy says they fit and the whole world believes!). LOL hawkrod

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ive got 10x2-1/2 drums on my fairlane 9in. but they're finned. I thought they were all finned??? I'll be looking for bigger ones for the cougar when Im that far :)

Rick

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i meant when i said the farilane ones were different, they are finned and physically much more massive which equates to unsprung weight which is a negative on a race car. the fins are better on a street car because they disapate heat well. hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yes, these are nice but heavy and expensive. Some Shelby guy has bid them up to $150 already. The regular 10 X 2 brakes on our 9" rears are fine. You'll also notice that the seller said the brakes came ffom a nice rust free Shelby (original) that they are converting to rear disc. brakes. Even the Shelby people know that the smaller, lighter brakes work great and a disc. conversion is nice. I still run the std. brakes but might convert to rear disc. in a year or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts