Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to order a suspension rebuild kit for my 67 and Mustangs Plus tells me that their 67 mustang kit has different lower control arms and wont work. He said that I can get a 68 kit but I would need to get 68+ strut rods for it to work.
I called Mustangs Unlimited and they said there is no difference between the 67 cougar and 67 mustang lower control arms ?

Who is right?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
My interchange book says:,

67 Cougar lower, same as 66-67 Fairlane, 66-7 Comet, Falcon, 67 Mustang

68 Cougar same as 68-71 Torino/Montego,68-73 Mustang/Cougar,70-73 Maverick,71-73 Comet,68-70 Falcon
Hope that helps.

Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I think I am just going to order the 67 stuff and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've heard that the difference is between 67 and 68, not Mustang Cougar. I think the 67 Mustang/Cougar/Falcon etc. has a more complex lower arm that was only used for one year. I've heard it described as an articulated arm. I was told that it was prone to damage and didn't improve ride or handling enough to justify the extra cost, so it was dropped after 1 year.

I've noticed that most vendors have a separate, higher cost for 67 lower arms as opposed to 68-70 arms. This backs up my theory that they are different and more complex. I was also told that a 68 arm will fit a 67 car.

My 2 cents.

Neal

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok, heres the deal for those of you that care. I made some calls to different cougar and mustang places and got some good info.

It looks like Neal is right. The 67 Cougar used an "articulated" strut rod which has a bushing on the lower control arm end and attaches to the frame in the same way the 68+ strut rods do. Apparently, the 67 strut rods will not bolt up to the 68 arms.

After looking at pics of 68+ strut rods in the catalogs, then on my cat, it made some sense.

So I ordered a 68 suspension kit and some used 68 strut rods from Cascade Classics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's pretty much on the mark there. The 67 lower control arms generally look the same, save for the bolt holes for the strut rods. For the 67 model year the strut rod was comprised of several pieces. There are two plates which bolt on top one another on the lower control arm, the other end mating up to the actual strut rod itself. This has a fair sized bushing on the control arm end and the bushings that meet up the front of the rod to the subframe.
It's a hokey design really and now that I'm replacing it I can see why they opted to change it. Over time the integrity of the stabilization will decrease as normal wear is incurred.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts