Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about Scott Drake Tri Ys for my
67 base, 289, Power Brakes and Power Steering. Standard manifolds now.

I will order the Power steering relocation bracket.

ANyone have any experience with Tri-Ys?

What exhaust kit did you buy or did you let a muffler shop do the piping?

Thinking about Flowmaster Delta 3-Chamber for dual exhaust but medium sound levels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi, I have Patriot Tri-Y headers on my '68 XR7 wirh a 302. They went on pretty easily. There were issues with the power steering hoses in their stock position for the small block. The hoses were way too close to the headers and power steering fluid being transmission fluid in these cars made for concern of melting a hose then fire. I was able to remidy the problem by installing a big block hose kit. The routing for the big block hoses takes the hoses out of the inside of the fender wells and routes them straight down and under the car. I have part numbers used if you are interested just drop me a p.m. and I will get them to you. I ran 2 1/2" pipes from Flowmaster off the headers. The headers work great and fit nice once the hoses are moved and you will need the drop down bracket for the power ram to get it away from the headers. I think this is the case with any header in a Cougar with power steering. Hope this helps!
Charlie

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The 67/289 package is the easiest of them to put headers on, in my opinion. My 67 did need the drop down to though. Be sure and get it welded on, as well as using the bolt!
I would use 2 1/2 pipe, nothing smaller, on any V8. The flow master 59 series have a more mellow sound than the 40's that every Chevelle has on it. I like the magnaflow sound myself, or glass packs, for that matter. Muffler choice is kind of a big deal. I recommend you tube for some audio clips to help make up your mind if you aren't sure about the sound you want. I have some audio clips in my signature link of different mufflers and duals, with and with out performance camshaft.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm with the snake :) Muffler choice to me makes the car. I love the sound of glasspacks on the small blocks. I'll probably go slightly more conservative on the 67 but if I do there may be some shenanigans involving electronic switch over to straight cutout dumps for when I get serious with the 408. :)

I took the power steering setup right out of my 67. Have long tube headers but I think no matter what headers you put in the PS pump is a pain in the arse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: since my steering box had slop in it, I put in a full Saginaw -borgeson upgrade kit. While waiting on the correct Ps hoses, I installed the drake tri.-Y's. I had to shave a little off the bell housing on both sides., and do a little levering of the passenger side Y's to get the tubes off the starter. Looks ok., but I put a heat wrap around the starter anyway.
now I figure its time to put in the duals. I want a mellow sound., so I'm thinking flowmaster three chamber deltas.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts