Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm being told of a '67 with a personalized dash cougar emblem with an engraved nameplate next to it.

Has anyone ever seen one of these or heard of such a thing from a Cougar Factory? Maybe some sort of "corporate" puchase or VIP deal? Just curious about what Is beign described; unfortunately no pictures..

thanks,

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I've never seen nor heard of this on our cats, but I would think it is possible.
My grandfather's 1962 Chrysler had a dash plaque stating the car was made specifically for him and is engraved with his name.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I recon Jim will know if something like that was done, however there has been plenty of those on e-bay, so it might just be an aftermarket item too

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Brian and others -- Early in the production year '66- '67 the factory orders far outstripped the ability of the plant (Dearborn) to turn out product. The marketing folks came out with a notification program for retail sales orders to send a letter to the orderer along with an engraved dash plaque with an explanation of the delay in filling their orders. I don't know how many such were made or issued, but I have seen several.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have not seen them on classic Cougar's, but have seen them on 1970's and 1980's Lincolns.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I picked up this nameplate from eBay. Of course it is not the factory/dealer piece you are referring to...

As you can see, it never made it to my dash.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I seem to recall that Ford did that with the 20th anniversary Mustangs - you could send in the dealer-supplied info card and Ford would send you the plaque...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, very interesting, Jim..ill have to get a pic and see if it is what you've seen. Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Here is one on ebay, made by a jewler, using highly detailed pewter walking cat. The pewter cat was used from one of the early promotional
gifts. Nice item.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>67,68,69,70,71,72,73,COUGAR DASH PLAQUE NOS LOOK!!!

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ipics-cell><FORM method=post name=ssFrm action=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=260742818465 target=ssFrmWin><INPUT value=0 type=hidden name=ssr><INPUT value=0#http://i.ebayimg.com/00#$(KGrHqMOKkUE0,TPLW0HBN,tOhBEe!~~_14.JPG#$(KGrHqMOKkUE0,TPLW0HBN,tOhBEe!~~_12.JPG|1#http://i.ebayimg.com/00#$(KGrHqQOKjQE0jn!4Z2qBN,tO3TmRg~~_14.JPG#$(KGrHqQOKjQE0jn!4Z2qBN,tO3TmRg~~_12.JPG type=hidden name=iurls><INPUT value=1 type=hidden name=dtid><INPUT value=1 type=hidden name=vs><INPUT value=0 type=hidden name=sh><INPUT value=",67,68,69,70,71,72,73,COUGAR DASH PLAQUE NOS LOOK!!!" type=hidden name=title></FORM><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vs_w-a><CENTER>
</CENTER>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It's the opposite of the ones I have.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have one of the ones from eBay, as in the photo that catman posted above. The tooling of the walking cat seems to exactly match the original Cougar promo cuff links that I have.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,cougar dash plaque nos look!!!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Re: ,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,cougar dash plaque nos look!!!

Thanks for posting these for me Scott.
The title was supposed to read: From the Jim Pinkerton collection.

Dunno what happened?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: ,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,cougar dash plaque nos look!!!

This must be what the fellow is referring to..very cool. I am curious how late actual cars were delivered for those people who got these through the period of September/October of '67. The fellow I've talked to had his car registered in April of '68, but I have yet to hear when it was actually built and delivered. Marti report pending..

Interesting too how it was only during that very early month or two of orders, Jim. What a glorious collection you have. I'm so jealous! :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
that's a cool bit of Cougar Trivia / history...do any of these original plates still exist? Or was the one in the photo real?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's a cool bit of Cougar Trivia / history...do any of these original plates still exist? Or was the one in the photo real?
I know of one that exists, Scott. I'm sure it's real!

I'm dying to see it and to see the stats from the Marti Report. Film at 11:00 ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts