Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

What do u o if your state requires a title and the owner doesn't have one?

I know you need either a title or a previous registration and bill of sale, but what if you can't get a previous reg either? Is the car doomed to be a parts car??
Broadway title does not service my state (MA).

Any experience?

·
Registered
298 Posts
No, it's not doomed to be a parts car and does not worry me much. I have purchased many cars without a tiltle. The first thing I do is take the VIN to the local police. As a courtesy for the public they will run the VIN to see if it's stolen (but that data only goes back maybe 10-20 years, if stolen before that the records are likey gone). Trouble is the old VINs always throw the police for a loop. You see the system is not setup for 11 digits. They always tell me that and say we cannot do this VIN....what does that tell you about old VINs in the system. I've used Broadway (not reliable in the past) and others over the years. Look around and find someone that does that service (register in non-title state) for you to get a title. If possible read the MVA rules in your state about non-title states and how your state handles them which I've done so I can tell them how to do it. Call all the local Title Companies to see if they offer the service and how much. Lastly, avoid the MVA people and go with a Title Company because they have inroads. Should cost maybe 200-300 for a title in your hand. It's no big deal. Oh, when a state issues a title they check to see if the car is stolen too.

·
11,000 Posts
It means you will waste a couple hours at the DMV and it will cost you some money. Be sure to deduct that from the asking price.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As has been stated by others, Read YOUR states requirements for Title(read NO title availiable) Question I have is: Where is the car located, your state or another? If in another, Your state may require you to do search in state it was bought and to contact last known registered owner.(by registered mail) After completing all the hoops, your state will probably Issue a provisional(title/registration) generally time is 3yrs, after that time your state would issue you a clear title. During that 3 yrs the Last owner can come and claim thier property.
Short story, If you can find out all the info on who, what, where, and do a little checking, you might be able to get title replaced. If no title is available, then go the route that has been suggested, some sort of Title company. (Be sure to check with your state as to how they deal with those types of titles) Would be a real bummer to spend the money and find out your state will not except it. Just my 1/5 of a Dime. If price is right and you are not in a hurry, BUY it!
Lloyd

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since the OP is in Mass, and unfortunately so am I let me chime in. You are screwed. The seller must obtain the title before selling to you. You will NEVER be able to get one through Mass. I see they shut Broadway down in Mass which is not surprising. Is that doomy and gloomy enough?

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well me being 1 state below you in CT let me ask everyone a question. It sort of relates to the OP in a round about way. I bought my car from CA and came with the legal title. Handed it to CT DMV and they handed it back to me saying the car is over 25 years old and it doesn't need a title and they won't issue one anyway. What happens if I decide to sell the car one day and all I have is the previous CA title signed over to me and my current CT registration? What if the car is sold to someone who's state requires a title to register the car? Seems kind of half assed on CT's part not issuing a new title. How can I sell a car from a state that refuses to give me a current title if the new owners state requires one?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
FFR428, I suggest hanging on to the CA title. If you ever sell the car, send it down the road with that title AND a recent registration. That would be enough even in MA and we are one of the toughest states when it comes to non-title cars.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Sell the car, on paper, to a friend in a more friendly state like new hampstah. Have them sell it back to you with a paper title.
Your state is putting all the onus on you to commit gross forgery. Don't do it. Just work the system.

North Carolina is largely the same way.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
FFR428, I suggest hanging on to the CA title. If you ever sell the car, send it down the road with that title AND a recent registration. That would be enough even in MA and we are one of the toughest states when it comes to non-title cars.
Thanks Bill. I kept it and all the paperwork I have for the car.

Glenn.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
YES!!! I have experience with them, I think they're GREAT!

Oh.

Guess the word was actually "titles". Maybe I need new glasses.

Nevermind.

:buck:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Has anyone used that GNT? I sure don't want to send them money and wait 5 days to hear from someone. And then find out there is no one there. I f they do a good job boy do I have a challange for them. Live in OR, has NV registration and a title in CA with a lein that was paid off in 1994!! Oh well we're still trying.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I live in Georgia, which does not normally issue titles for cars over 16 years old. When I sold my '77 Lincoln to a buyer in New York state a year ago he had no problems at all getting a title in NY with a written bill of sale and the last tag reciept (which was current). If you know someone you trust in a state that has similar requirements as GA, "sell" them the car in question for $1 or something like that, have them register it in their state (here that would involve getting insurance on the car), then "buy" it back with a new bill of sale and the tag reciept (which here = registration). Might be worth a try anyway. I'd offer to help you out, but understand you probably would want to deal with someone you know on something like this.....

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sell the car, on paper, to a friend in a more friendly state like new hampstah. Have them sell it back to you with a paper title.
Your state is putting all the onus on you to commit gross forgery. Don't do it. Just work the system.

North Carolina is largely the same way.
Again, for those of you unfamiliar with the state of Massachusetts - you have no idea. There is no system that will work in Massachusetts. I had a friend that tried the NH route. At a minimum the car would need to be trailer-ed to NH so that it can be inspected by a State Police officer there. A bill of sale from NH without prior registration in NH will not work. Unless you are dealing with a legit high dollar car it's simply not worth the effort here.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Again, for those of you unfamiliar with the state of Massachusetts - you have no idea. There is no system that will work in Massachusetts. I had a friend that tried the NH route. At a minimum the car would need to be trailer-ed to NH so that it can be inspected by a State Police officer there. A bill of sale from NH without prior registration in NH will not work. Unless you are dealing with a legit high dollar car it's simply not worth the effort here.
NH does not require that a State Police officer inspect it, a local Police officer can do the vin inspection. The vin inspection is required on any out of state vehicle over 15 years old, even if you have a valid signed off out of state title. Once that is completed, you can then register the vehicle, until ~2004, NH would not issue a title on a vehicle over 10 years. Now an "antique" vehicle can have a title issued upon request if it is over 26 years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts