Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. My driver side back drum brakes has been leaking brake fluid... I finally took off the rim and drum to look in there. The first thing after I took the drum off was a spring was just loose in the drum... I'm not 100% sure where it goes but thinking it goes to the adjuster at the bottom. There is a cable that is just hanging not connected to anything so I would imagine it connects to the spring. Most likely the spring is broke and will need to get a new one. I guess I could just take off the other wheel and look and if everything is intact on that side just trace where it goes. I would like to try and get a diagram first if anyone does have one.

Also, the brake fluid is coming from my brake Cylinder... I noticed on Oreilly.com you can buy a kit for next to nothing. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to rebuild my current cylinder? It doesn't look like it should be too hard since there is hardly anything in the kit. I just haven't messed with drum brakes in over 20 years!!!! I always just hated working on drum brakes but now I have no choice!!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
thats what i was going to say....the wheel cylinders are dirt cheap for a new one so why bother rebuilding the old one?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If the cylinder has been leaking very long, you probably have fluid on your shoes and will need to be replaced also, if fluid is on shoes, that wheel will grab when applying brakes. Just a thought!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This should help http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/brakes-front_01.jpg

I haven't rebuilt a wheel cylinder in about 30 years - cheaper & easier to replace them.
Ok, this works!!!! Thanks for the diagram!!!!

Well when I posted and rebuilding the wheel cylinder... Oreilly only had the prices online for the kit not the whole wheel cylinder... I called and got the price on wheel cylinder and its $12.99... So its not a huge difference with the kit costing $6.29...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's practically free when you consider the fact a cylinder hone costs more that that too.....I'll replace 'em from now on myself.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Might you want to at least look at the other drum to see what might be going on there unbeknowngst to you? While doing repairs on one side the other might need a little love too.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
...and remember that one side is the mirror image of the other, parts-wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts