Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a nice deal on it with a bunch of other parts over the weekend.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1046&sb=0

Specifications IntakeExhaustRPM Range: Valve Lash: Valve Timing: Duration: Lobe Separation: Duration @ .050" Lift: Intake Centerline: Valve Lift: Lobe Lift:

*EDIT* Specs didnt post right but here it is:
Valve timing: 0.006 Lobe Seperation: 110 Intake Centerline: 106
Duration: 280 Duration @ 0.050 lift: 224
Valve Lift: .56 Lobe Lift: .35

What I know about cams could fit on the end of a needle so looking for any thoughts or feedback. That cam was driving the guys 393 stroker "very well". I know it is a low vaccuum cam but I am swapping my headlights over to electric opening anyways and do not have power assist brakes.

Couple questions I have:

1) Will that allow the 351 to breathe decent with the patriot freedom 185 heads? (2.02 intake and 1.6x exhaust). the patriot heads flow approx 235cfm on the intake side at .500 lift.

2) Is there any way to determine Piston to Valve clearance issues on a stock 95 windsor block with this cam? I have never had to check PTV before but with the aftermarket heads and bigger valves I am going to have to.

My reasons for asking about PTV on a stock 351 95 block is I wouldn't mind throwing all of this into a stock block for a year or two as the wife would really appreciate it if I slowed down on my performance spending :) If I could toss the cam, heads and my long tubes onto a stock 95 roller setup I'd be all over it.

Thanks in advance for teh feedback guys.

Peace

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No body loves me :/ hehe

So what I have been able to read up on indicates 80%+ chance that I will have PTV clearancing issues due to the 2.02 intake valves and a slightly lumpy cam. I'll do a mock up to be sure but everything I am reading indicates dished pistons are required. I can go with the probe or scat stroker kits for about $1K and run approx 9.5-10.5 depending on variables. Next thing for me to do is find my 351 roller block candidate. I'll start tearing heads off the 94-96 5.8 F series trucks at my pick and pull for a couple months until I find a nice candidate. Would rock if I found a rebuilt with dished pistons but I can think of why someone would do that to an F-150 stock rebuild :) Might bring the rest of the block into questions heh.

Anyways, feel free to give feedback on the cam / heads.. As I am doing this on the cheap I don't have a lot of wiggle room but still want to hear peoples thoughts.

Build info:

~95 351W roller block
CompCams 280HR cam
Patriot Freedom 185 heads
1.6 Aluminum roller rockers
Edelbrock / Holley ( I have both ) 750 cfm carb.
9" with locking 4:11s
Unkown brand 351 W longtube headers

IMO I am getting close to a 12 second car with that setup. With the Probe/SCAT stroker kit I should be a low 12s and maybe scratch into the 11s. That will depend on weight, tires and hooking up the power. This will be a street car but I might take it to the strip once a year just to say I did :)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I usually have lots to say about cams and such, but I have no experience with either a roller cam, or that specific grind. As far as the P2V goes, my experience has been that you have to check EVERYTHING for yourself. I believe there is a way to notch pistons in the bore, but I have never had to do it. You will also need to confirm your push rod length with the cam. If you think there is an 80% chance of issues, then definitely "clay" up, before you bolt everything in for good...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, no update yet. I decided to hold off trying to bolt the heads up to my existing 351 block that is in the car and just build the stroker with the proper PTV clearances. I am dying to feel the diff the 185 heads and 750 carb will make with the air gap intake but not at the risk of doing damage.

I've got my 94FTE stroker block disassembled now. Just waiting to talk to a machine shop about tanking, boring and line boring. Not sure I need to deck the block. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. The less machine work I ask some 3rd party to do the better I feel. Once that's done my balanced 408 internals will go in. To be honest though this is all just "filler" work right now because I am really focussing on getting the cat on the road next year with the existing 351 that is a real strong runner already.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep you informed.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
In all honesty, a 750 is probably too much carb for a 351. Heck, my 393W is perfectly happy with a 660cfm Street Avenger, and the 750 did absolutely nothing for performance over the 660 (with either my old Comp X4262H or my current XR276HR cam). A 750 and an Air Gap intake will probably take away a bunch of your lower RPM throttle response and crispness, and also cause a weak metering signal so gas mileage will probably suffer...

Line boring probably not necessary, but decking to square is a must just to get all cylinders at the same compression and working together to making a consistent power level. I've seen some blocks off as much as .017 from side-to-side and end-to-end. That's a bunch!!!

BTW, there are two different '280HR' Magnum cams. The 35-430-8 has .560/.560 and the 35-314-8 has .560/.598. Are you sure of your part number?

And again, if you're going stroker, you'll probably end up with dished pistons if you want 9.5-10.5 compression but you already knew that...

If I were you, I'd just use the stock cam along with your Patriot heads and a lower-height Performer RPM intake for now on the 351 and 'go nuts' when you go stroker!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts