Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Very familiar... It is all that and more and has been discussed here before. Staggering amount of money invested.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I love the car - but it still kills me that it was not painted a factory 1969 Mercury Color!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This is one very nicely done restomod, and I know a little about it from another board member who is friendly with the owner, but my thought is that it was over-invested in which is ashame. Best of luck with the sale Tony.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Scott, Why does it kill you that he didn't paint a 70 in a 69 color?
Picky, picky Jeff! I think he means the color is not correct for the year (or any Cougar), doesn't he?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
That is part of the appeal, imo. Unique color.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Picky, picky Jeff! I think he means the color is not correct for the year (or any Cougar), doesn't he?
I'm in the minority I know, but I never thought it was a sin, or a big deal to change the color of a car. I kind of like the color of the car we're talking about. I know of a GTE that's the ugly green and I'd have no problem changing the color if it was mine and I had the money to do it. I also know of a 68 1/2 CJ Cougar that was the ugly green and now it's light blue and maybe not a factory light blue and it looks great.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's your car, paint it whatever color you want. The market is not likely to reward your choice if it is not the factory color (or at least one that was available for that year) but if you want to, paint it.

Ford had lots of colors in the day that have not aged well. I think they are politely referred to as "Period" colors. Lime Green and Chestnut Brown come to mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know of a GTE that's the ugly green and I'd have no problem changing the color if it was mine and I had the money to do it. I also know of a 68 1/2 CJ Cougar that was the ugly green and now it's light blue and maybe not a factory light blue and it looks great.
Some of the factory colors were timeless, some not so much.... and some of the factory exterior colors just don't seem to go with the factory interior colors. Not sure if this is one of them, as I'm not familiar with the '70 blue/blue combo.

How far off is this from '70 factory blue anyway?

I personally can't see spending this much money on a not particularly desirable-optioned car without adding an overdrive transmission, suspension improvements for handling & off-the-line, and possibly some discrete fuel injection; but I'm sure others think that is stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I was making fun of Scott. What I think he meant to say was that he can't believe the guy didn't paint it a 70 color. The car is a 70 so there is no reason it should have been painted a 69 color.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi everyone! I may as well add to all this since it is my car! First of all, I totally appreciate all of the good words. AND, frankly the car really came out nicely and Don Rush has a lot to do with the success. Chris Gauch came through in the clutch and since you all know him, ask him about the car too . . . I think he really likes it! He added to the success of the project.

A black 70 XR7 was my first car at the age of 16. Now you know where all this started. I would like to respond to a few of the ideas that have been presented here. I will go down the list and see if you all like my point of view.

a) The car is nicer than the pictures and better than the write-up. When we write about our cars, we forget details that really can add up to make a super nice car. It's great to share all this as we all truly love these cars or we wouldn't be here writing and reading.

b) I don't know if "staggering" is the right description of what was spent. I once asked John at John's Cougars what he knew of the real cost of some restorations he had knowledge of. At the time he was speaking of a convertible and he said big numbers. I mean really big. Some people can't do all the work themselves and farm it out. I was working 13 hour days since 1990 after the real estate crash of 87 and frankly, I felt that the only way I would ever get my dream Cougar was the route that I chose. I chose Richard Lianna of Troutville, VA as he was a famous Lincoln restorer. He has hundreds of customers and made most of them trophy winners. So, it's a Lincoln Mercury division product and I took a shot with him. Yes, I did a ton a TON of the work on my own. Every vacation I drove to VA and worked 12 hour days to get this the way I wanted. He did the body and paint and well . . . the install of the motor and rear. I did the interior and assembled the drive train and ground down the heads and water pump for clearance for the headers and well . . . I even took every wire apart in the main wire assembly from the battery to the dash and cut all the tape back and soaked and cleaned each with and did a continuity test and taped it back up and secured it to the lower dash that was not only vinyl dyed blue on the front, but hand sanded and two coats of white paint with a flex agent for the back. How about the detail of the little black strip of paint on the two dash areas immediately next to the raised aluminum ridge at the clock and dash gauge areas? Took DAYS to tape off and paint and make factory fresh so when we look at the photo or sit in the car, the feeling is striking. I just never understood when a person would say "totally restored" and then you would get to a car and sit in it and the dash was old and tired . . . you know what I mean? THAT is why I did this! I wanted a new car!

c) Larry! Hello, hope you're doing great. Hmmm, lucky I hope so too. But you know the game with Ebay, it's just a lure. It will never get up in the bids on that forum. It's the phone calls that come in from the advertising that may lead to a real buyer.

d) The color. I know and understand what I am about to say about color will offend some of you and I hope you won't take it the wrong way. I ask for just a minute that you forget we are talking about Cougars, cars that we are stuck on. The first challenge was that I wanted to pick ONLY a Lincoln Mercury color. Eventually we used a 1988 Lincoln color. The next hurdle for me is this, it is that I like when the exterior of a car and interior of a car have a relationship. Again, for the next sentence take a deep breath . . . the medium blue interior of this car did not go well with the original "electric blue" exterior. If the car had been white, well, that could have worked really well too. But, after countless hours and buying paint chips on Ebay and literally fighting with Richard over this . . . yes, fighting (I know, I am the owner right? I think I am!), we landed on this color. The fact is that if you visit the car and do not rely on history, the two simply compliment each other remarkably well. Who would have thought? Again opinion, we even had a colorist look at original fabric samples and sprayed out 6" x 10" sheets showing the exterior color and looking in different lighting. I know I ask all of you to take a leap of faith here, but the color is simply great and that's no bull****.

One more thought about this. On the original write-up on Ebay over a year ago, I wrote that this paint color was more luxurious. Now, many on this forum threw rocks at me. But I ask you this, after all the cars you've seen, dreamed of, admired . . . are we all going to say that we've never seen a paint that was simply deeper, or better or a paint that made a car look more substantial? Actually, one writer above notes a "brown" color or a "green" and we all can agree that some of these off colors have a negative response from nearly all of us. So how is it that it is not possible that maybe I landed on a color that not only I like, but one that in person simply is better? Is it not possible to have colors that work better with an interior? The answer is of course. Traditionalists will think one way and I respect that. But again, I believe if you all visited the car in person, you would all see this a bit differently.

e) The car has special suspension improvements like heavier coils and leafs and needle bearing spring perches and the factory rear sway bar . . . it has a McLeod clutch and pressure plate and cable system. It has a lot of things that I felt needed to be done. When I was 16 and removed the FMX and installed a top-loader, the z-bar would bend and I could never get it right. Now it is a dream; after 800 miles and only one adjustment, the pedal action is simply reliable and consistent. I don't know, the write-up I did speaks to a lot of what you guys have brought up. Even the clutch pedal has a needle bearing like a BMW because again, when I was a kid I would freak out that the pedal with the nylon bushings (a Thompson Industries product that was sold by the millions!) would crack and there would be metal on metal. Ever try to remove that whole pedal assembly on your back without the whole dash when your 16 with a 60 watt drop light bulb burning your head and arms? Well that's the memory that made me want to make improvements like these.

f) For what it is worth, you can see the interior that I did myself in a basement over 3 years came out really well. I found original fabric (vinyl) from a car upholstery place in Roanoke, VA . . . I bought the last 11 yards and still have some. I found this great place to re-do the sides of the front seats and kept the original leather centers. I kept the interior bone stock so when I got in the car, it would take me back to my 16th year. The exterior other than the color is really great. Again yes, the pin stripes are matching the center caps to the wheels. The wheels are special over-sized . . . I dunno, what's not to love?

So anyways, thanks to all of you for commenting. I don't get on this site too much but I figured there might be some interesting comments. Yes, I did spend a lot. But the result is still a good one. Yes, I am selling it for far less than what it cost. But at the right price, I will move on and the next guy will have a bargain and a great car. I will use the money creatively to make up for the financial loss. In the end, the experience of building it has been invaluable. Hey, I know it's a show that means not much to the Cougar community but it won at the 2011 Greenwich Concours . . . that was an unexpected moment.

You all take care! Best wishes. Tony

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...How about the detail of the little black strip of paint on the two dash areas immediately next to the raised aluminum ridge at the clock and dash gauge areas? Took DAYS to tape off and paint and make factory fresh so when we look at the photo or sit in the car, the feeling is striking. I just never understood when a person would say "totally restored" and then you would get to a car and sit in it and the dash was old and tired . . . you know what I mean? THAT is why I did this! I wanted a new car!
Tony,

I can truly say I TOTALLY understand what you were going for, I followed the same philosophy in my 7 year journey with Isabel. Good luck man.

Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Bob! Thank you . . . you "get it" big time. I pour over Ebay a lot just for fun . . . I like 92-93 Mustangs or some 70 Lincolns and some others too . . . then you see trim on an interior of a car claimed to be fully restored and I scratch my head. Sometimes "they" want intensely big $$ and just because it might have a hood scoop or certain noteworthy-ness due to a statistic, everyone jumps on it. BUT, the new owner has MONTHS of work to do to make it super cool. Sure I did spend a lot of money and I guess I chose a car that others would not. But, I did get a rust free car to start with and one that had a good interior to begin with and one that was straight and had good possibilities. I knew my limitations too and did not want to restore a car that was already famous that I might take liberties with and not do correctly . . . I didn't have that kind of knowledge. What I do know how to do is to get something in my hands and make it new. So I did.

Thanks for your good wishes! All the best. Tony

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Tony,

I think I got it, if you meant post #17.

BTW, I don't think my console box would have ended up reflocked if it was not for Chris mentioning you were doing that back during when your car was going back together. I had no knowledge of the process or possibility but I darn sure went and "edjimacated" myself after having heard about it and did mine too! Came out righteous!

BTW II, there is a Concours D'elegance event near me in Holmdel, NJ, I almost inquired about it last summer when I became aware of it, but thought that they would turn their nose up at the "liberties" I took with my car. Subsequently talked to a Talladega owner at another show who went to it and he had some deviations as well (not as extensive as my own, but still). Maybe I should pursue an invite this year?

Me, I know how to get something in my hands (a turd that should have been junked) and make it new as well.
So, like you, I did (too).

Nice hearing from you Tony and again, good luck with the sale!

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Oh, and here is my car finished in case you were wondering!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts