Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have the dash out off the car, I took out the clock thinking it was DOA. Upon applying 12V, the second hand started to swing happily around the face. My problem is the knob/shaft which spins the minder hand (center of the dial) is flopping around, and I'd like to fix it somehow.

Now, my problem. I can't get the plexiglass cover off the clock without taking off the knob on the shaft at the bottom which sets the time. Does anyone know if this knob is a screw on, or is pressed? :confused: Thanks.

Steve C.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A fellow member, Ray Harwood, can surely help. He restores them($125 or so). I believe that the knob is pressed on. There was a post about it or it was on TCCN. They said to be careful, the shaft will break easy if not careful or sometimes even if you are careful!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the knob screws on (mine did). Pull up on the knob and use pliers or something to hold onto the shaft and twist off carefully. I replaced mine with quartz movements. The only bad thing is you need to change the battery, but when it dies, its just like an original "OLD" clock,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darkman,

Is Ray's e-mail associated with Pacific Coast Classic Cougars? I know what you mean about DOA clocks. My dash is apart, and I have verified 12V at the clock connector. If I apply 12V directly to the back of the clock (where the connector seats), the clock is alive. But, it didn't seem to function when the supposedly good connector was attached. Go figure. I recall when it was working it always kept time like it was half dead, anyway. Do you know if a quartz movement is available which is 12V powered?

Thanks,

Steve C.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I replaced the clock in my wife's 70 Mach 1 with an aftermarket 12V quartz movement. The only giveaway that it has been modified is that the second hand now sweeps instead of tics around the dial. I wish I could remember where I got the unit. I know I saw the outfit while looking through a Hemmings Motor News. The clock fix was easy - probably only a five minute job, it was taking her dash apart to get to the darned thing that was the PITA. Mustangs, bah! ;)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Catz
The knob unscrews with two pair pliers. I repair and relens the original clocks for $85 w/postage or $125 outright. I have plenty ready to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts