Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a set of the concourse sail panels installed them, but the glue on them isn't dry and they seem to want to peel off the cardboard.

Anyone else having this issue?

Can I just use spray 3m, or would that just add to the gooo??

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jeff,

If you are using contact cement, you (especially with this kind of thing) need to let both sides tack up/dry thoroughly before bonding. I have had the same problem with interior 1/4 trim panels vinyl not adhering to the backer. Resisting the urge to bond too soon was the key.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Same problem. By the time the panels reached me the glue had untacked and I had to reglue them. I used good old spray contact adhesive over the top of the existing glue, but tacked up both surfaces before setting them together. I thought it might have just been an issue with them travelling at 35,000ft to get here

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know where you bought your panels from, but I bought a set from WCCC and if the glue doesn't hold, they are going back.

I bought these so I wouldn't have to make my own!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there all, I am sorry to hear the glue has failed to hold on your sail panels, I make them for Don and on the first run of them we used 3m glue.
Some months Later we found that some of them were not holding together so we changed to a professional Dap glue.
Please know that I stand by my work and if anyone has had the glue fail I will replace them for free, Please email me at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Hi there all, I am sorry to hear the glue has failed to hold on your sail panels, I make them for Don and on the first run of them we used 3m glue.
Some months Later we found that some of them were not holding together so we changed to a professional Dap glue.
Please know that I stand by my work and if anyone has had the glue fail I will replace them for free, Please email me at [email protected]
Wow! Thanks Chuck for stepping in even before I could! If we all poke Chuck enough I bet he would share pics of his multiple Eliminators... BTW, do any of you who have bought these panels have some good quality pictures we can use for our site?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Wow! Thanks Chuck for stepping in even before I could! If we all poke Chuck enough I bet he would share pics of his multiple Eliminators... BTW, do any of you who have bought these panels have some good quality pictures we can use for our site?

http://www.classiccougargarage.net/showthread.php?tid=148

Only modified ones with grubby fingerprints all over them. Even shows some of the glue used to stick the top edge back down. I can take a couple more now the interior is back in if you like.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That is awesome! But I just sprayed mine with 3m and they seem to be good to go now..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts