Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, thank you Don for the door hinge cores lead.

I hate to just junk this stuff for scrap metal weight, anybody know of who buys any of the following cores?:

Alternators

Starters

Power Steering Pumps

Master Cylinders

Power Steering Control Valves (emailed stangersite for the second time this afternoon, not holding my breath)

Thanks for any ideas or leads suggesting a better alternative than scrapping.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What year,make and model are the alternators? Might be interested in them if they are old Ford.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year,make and model are the alternators? Might be interested in them if they are old Ford.
Gosh, I dunno. Most are old ones from Cougars, but a few mix and match may have gotten in the mix. Like I recall the somewhat later ones had a squared off adjustment bolt ear and a more square back housing, I think I have one of those. The others I would say are all 60's vintage but I'd be happy to check if you tell me what to look for on them.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Gosh, I dunno. Most are old ones from Cougars, but a few mix and match may have gotten in the mix. Like I recall the somewhat later ones had a squared off adjustment bolt ear and a more square back housing, I think I have one of those. The others I would say are all 60's vintage but I'd be happy to check if you tell me what to look for on them.

Regards,

Bob
Bob,

There is a part number stamped on the front piece directly above the top mounting bolt. You can actually read that while the alternator is mounted in the car, as long as there are no additional accessories mounted above it, such as a smog pump. Also originals on the back piece by the wiring harness attachment points will have cast in them the word Autolite.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Bob,

There is a part number stamped on the front piece directly above the top mounting bolt. You can actually read that while the alternator is mounted in the car, as long as there are no additional accessories mounted above it, such as a smog pump. Also originals on the back piece by the wiring harness attachment points will have cast in them the word Autolite.
Thank you Dave.

Bob if anything is as Dave described please let me know. Thanks Glenn.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do Glenn.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's a good question Bob - I've noticed that cores are becoming less commmon over the last few years ---- especially with older (>10 years) stuff. I have replaced/fixed a number of alternators and starters over the last few years with just simple brushes or diode replacements, but it's getting harder to find those parts even for newer cars. It wasn't that long ago you even got money back for your brake shoes! Not any more. Our throw away society has elliminated many of those commonly recycled/rehab'd parts. ( Has anyboy noticed simple parts have got silly expensive? carb kit $29 when it was $13 - 5 years ago...) for cryin out loud!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
( Has anyboy noticed simple parts have got silly expensive? carb kit $29 when it was $13 - 5 years ago...) for cryin out loud!
I've noticed this for just about everything. It's almost impossible to get out of a home improvement store for less than $50 anymore. But for some reason our government tells us that we have no inflation.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I found on my last scrap metal haul that the yard does in fact take starters and alternators. However, the price paid is very low, same as light iron at $10.75/100 lbs. A lousy way (but perhaps the only one I have available) to avoid just throwing these units away.

BTW, for the person who asked about stampings on the alternators, only one had anything by the pivot boss and that was a D8 vintage. The others seem to be blank (or the stamping is somewhere else that I was not readily able to find?).

Regards,

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts