Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the wheels on my 68 XR7 and came across a set on Mustangs Unlimited.
They are the "Steel Styled Wheels" similar to the original factory mags. These are 15X7. They are running just under $700 shipped. Little confused about the backspace on them, 4 5/8 I think is what they are saying? Don't want to make a mistake on these. If anyone has them wonder what they are running for tires? Here is what they say about them:

Item No: 646606 01

WHEEL STYLED STEEL 15X7 65/73 MUSTANG/COUGAR
Custom Size 1965-type Styled Steel Wheel with 5-lug bolt pattern, 15 x 7".

Chrome rim and charcoal paint between the spokes like a '65 wheel, but in a larger than stock size allowing wider tires for better performance & appearance! Sold individually.

*Designed for 1965-1966 style center caps (sold separately), but can use 1967 center caps if wheel is notched for clearance.
*5 x 4-1/2" W/4-5/8" backspacing bolt pattern fits most early V8 Fords.

Any input appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
4 5/8 BS is what they are saying and this should be good for our cars in a 7" wide rim. As for what tires, probably no bigger than a 265 but the tire spec charts for the tire you are interested in can tell you the range and what the tire was measured on. For 15's, the tire selection is very limited, BFG and Firestone being the only two big name tires that I could find.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decided to go with WCCC Reproduction 15 X 7" Style Steel Wheel with Chrome outer Rim for the 1967 and 1968 Mercury Cougar Part #: 67-815x7SS. A few $ more but they are always so nice to deal with and never a problem. Thinking of putting on 225/60/15 tires, that is what they recommend to avoid any issues with clearances.
Anyone have any input on tires???? I won't have wheels here for a week so have some time to shop them out. Wonder if it would make sense to go a little wider on the rear? Have seen chart but would love to hear what people are running on this size rim on their 68's. I have heard of one running 265's, wonder if that is all around or just on the back?
Thanks all
Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
235/60R15 on the front is too big, IMHO. That's what I went with on my 67 XR-7 GT and it has had some fender lip clearance issues. I had 225/60R15's on CatVert and I wish I'd stuck with those this time around.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounding like going with 225/60x15 all around is the best bet. Wheels will be here on Tuesday so any other input still appreciated. Can't wait to get nice wheels on my car... Been driving around with hub caps for too long. I know there are those that prefer it that way but I have always loved the look of the original mags that were on the 68 XR7's. Maybe it is because my first car was that way, don't know but do love the look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts