Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find the 68 my dad bought of the showroom floor. It was mom's car until i was 16 then I inherited the car and drove it for 7 years. It was in my name at the time but have no record of the VIN. Can it be obtained through the licensing dept? Would be cool for me to locate it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I knew what the vin was as far as the engine because I knew it was a 1969 so "9" was the first number. then I knew it was built in Dearborn and the code for that is "F" was the second digit. the third and fourth was "94" as it was a convertible. Then the engine code was "R" as it was a 428 Ram air car. then the next digit is a "5" which is the first number for Mercury's. I the put it together "9F94R5' and had the DMV try a search with that info and it came back to only 1 car in my state. I located the owner and he remembered me and showed me the car and it has not changed since the day I sold it. I also had the pleasure to help him get it started and take it for a ride as it has not been run much since 1992. He also remebered I had first option of buyback. Right noe he does not want to part with the car but is obvious he has lost much interest in the car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would like to find the 68 my dad bought of the showroom floor. It was mom's car until i was 16 then I inherited the car and drove it for 7 years. It was in my name at the time but have no record of the VIN. Can it be obtained through the licensing dept? Would be cool for me to locate it.
If you know the original selling dealer in conjunction with the color and some of the options, Kevin Marti for a fee, should be able to narrow down the VIN.

The more information you can provide to Kevin the less time (cost) it should take him to figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts