Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the third member to move, I jacked it up a bit to see if it would break it loose and nothing. Any tips?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Make sure you removed the copper washers/gaskets from under the nuts that hold the chunk to the housing. The soft copper squishes into the threads on the studs and won't let the diff slide off. A chisel is your friend. Chisel along the length of the stud toward the diff flange. That will split the copper washer and allow it to be removed. You'll need new ones when you install a diff anyway...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I'm going to assume you have taken out the axles. Make sure all the copper washers have been removed. Then use a sharp putty knife and start working it in between the housing and 3rd member. It mak take some time. Keep some suport under it so it doesn't hit the floor. I have heard of punching the studs in to the housing, but I will not recemend that.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I too learned about the copper washers the hard way when trying to pull the differential out of the housing. Once they are off it's a piece of cake....or pie. Pat Price

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I too learned about the copper washers the hard way when trying to pull the differential out of the housing. Once they are off it's a piece of cake....or pie. Pat Price
Or how about "It's a Piece of Pumpkin" since that is what he's trying to remove Pat. :1poke: John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts