Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequent an auction house weekly almost and it seems like they very often have a butt load of 8 track tapes and players. I don't want them (along with 99% of the people) but if anybody has some for me to look out for I can snag them....PM what you want and I'll keep an eye out. After this many years, they may not be any good so keep that in mind....may not be worth the shipping..? not sure.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I just saw a bunch of 8-track tapes for sale in the local thrift store today.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When looking at 8 tracks check the pad system under the tape. If it is/was a piece of foam it most likely will be crumbled and the particles will get inside and on the tape, throw it away. If the pad(s) is a bent piece of brass metal then the cartridge should still work. Give them a gentle whack on a flat surface to break the tape loose.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If I could score an 8 track player for the Cougar for a decent price, I would take some, but I can't find anything "Cheap" enough...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another tip on 8 tracks: The Learjet cartridges manufactured between 1966 and 1971 will have a decomposing rubber pinch roller that will turn to goo and make a mess out of your 8 track player. Check all cartridges carefully before playing them. Since I have an original 8 track in my '69, I've learned how to repair these dinosaur tapes. The pinch rollers, sensing foil splices and pressure pads can all be changed. I mostly collect the older cartridges from the late 60's to early 70's for nostalgia, and yes they are funky and were of mediocre quality at best when they were brand new.

JAMES

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HUH - where do you get the pinch rollers to replace them then? I know what you mean about turning to goo - sometimes the feet/pads on old electronic gear does that too - just cleaned an old phone up with that very problem!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another tip on 8 tracks: The Learjet cartridges manufactured between 1966 and 1971 will have a decomposing rubber pinch roller that will turn to goo and make a mess out of your 8 track player. Check all cartridges carefully before playing them. Since I have an original 8 track in my '69, I've learned how to repair these dinosaur tapes. The pinch rollers, sensing foil splices and pressure pads can all be changed. I mostly collect the older cartridges from the late 60's to early 70's for nostalgia, and yes they are funky and were of mediocre quality at best when they were brand new.

JAMES
How is the best way to get the tapes apart? The tapes I have, the pads look like little pieces of brown scotch brite on brass springs and the only roller I can see is grey plastic. Are these good? I just paid $220. to fix the tape player and I don't want to flub it up. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
For the learjets with gooey pinch rollers, you can use later plastic pinch rollers out of later model RCA cartridges. If you want to use rubber replacements, you can find old cartridges from the 70's made by a company called "Audio Dynamics-Costa Mesa, CA." and salvage them. To get the Learjets apart is another trick. You will have to get 5 self-tapping screws and grind the tips off flat and use a ratchet and screw them into the five holes in the back of the cartridge to get it apart.

JAMES

·
Registered
274 Posts
How is the best way to get the tapes apart? The tapes I have, the pads look like little pieces of brown scotch brite on brass springs and the only roller I can see is grey plastic. Are these good? I just paid $220. to fix the tape player and I don't want to flub it up. Thanks
Those are probably RCA cartridges. The plastic pinch rollers are fine in those as the won't turn to goo, and you can replace the pressure pads with felt with an adhesive backing if the originals fall of of the brass tab. The problem with the RCA cartridges is that the glue on the sensing foil splices deteriorates and the tape will usually come apart when the player switches track. Unless you are lucky and the splice breaks where you can easily fish out both ends of the tape, you will have to drill out the headless aluminum screw that holds these cartridges together to re-splice the tape.

·
Registered
913 Posts
James C.
Thanks for the info. The few tapes I have are RCA,and Mercury record corp. They are glued together and no screws. Have you ever had to take one of these apart?

·
Registered
274 Posts
James C.
Thanks for the info. The few tapes I have are RCA,and Mercury record corp. They are glued together and no screws. Have you ever had to take one of these apart?
You have to carefully break them apart, I hate dealing with those cartridges!
JAMES

·
Registered
309 Posts
Love em!! I'm finding a lot of them at second hand stores but most of them are now the waltz's or other very unpopular music. I do find through friends or scrounging yard sales some of the good ones. Was given both parts of the original Woodstock tapes! Woodsnake which Cougar are you looking for? There has been a guy here in Portland who has been advertising a 67 am 8track on craigslist for $200. I just checked and it not there now but it has come and gone for a couple of years. I have talked to him and he thought it worked. I know for the 69/70 they are around and not as expensive as the 67. I really miss not having an FM but my 8 track works well so I just keep playing the tunes!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I would take one for either my 67/8 or 69/70. But not for 200 dollars. I'm thinking fifteen or twenty bucks. Not very likely, I know...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts