Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have KYB GR-2 shocks on the rear of my 68. How do the Monroe Sensa-tracs shocks compare to the the KYBs on the rear of a 68? I have 50s on the back with an added leaf. My objective is to eliminate the threat of rubbing when driving on the interstates (logging roads) of KY.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Monroe coiled over shocks on the rear. I don't remember what Monroe called them but they are basically a shock with a coil over them. They stiffened the rear up even more as I also added a leaf like you, and I believe it's a good setup for overall ground clearance, looks, and stability for high performance. They were like 120 bucks back in 2005 lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Monroe coiled over shocks on the rear. I don't remember what Monroe called them but they are basically a shock with a coil over them. They stiffened the rear up even more as I also added a leaf like you, and I believe it's a good setup for overall ground clearance, looks, and stability for high performance. They were like 120 bucks back in 2005 lol. Good luck.
HellCat,
The Monroecoil overs you have are probably the ones I'm thinkin of. Did they raise the rear end any? If so, how much?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If they raised the rear end any it wasn't alot....maybe a half inch or so. It did, however, provide good handling. I re-arched and added a leaf which I personally recommend, however, I am unaware of the "air ride" systems that exist and what they do to the cat. I also know when I go to shows every other cat I see is low to the back and up a hair in the front. I like my cats stance but that's just my 2 cents. Good luck

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Technical explanation of the Monroe Sensa-Trac shock

To answer your question regarding tire interference, you need to limit your suspn travel during bump (compression). Not certain you can achieve that with firmer shock valving. It will help, just not certain. One method may be to place rubber bumpers on the shock's piston rod as this will limit the amount of bump travel. Or add firmer springs, which will change your vehicle's handing dynamics as well.

The Monroe Sensa-Trac shock (or strut) was designed to allow for improved comfort under normal driving conditions. "Normal" meaning the small range the suspn and shock absorber travels during non aggressive driving conditions, such as on the interstate or around town. Firm shock damping is not required under these conditions.

Once the shock absorber traveled outside of that range due to hard cornering or going over a large bump or pot hole or even hard braking, the shock valving in both compression and rebound becomes significantly firmer where it is needed.

The Sensa-Trac design works this way because Monroe fabricates the pressure tube with a couple of grooves running longitudinally at a designed controlled length.....above and below the normal ride height piston position. These grooves allows for shock oil to pass or "leak" by the piston band creating a softer ride. Once the piston moves above (during extreme rebound) or below (during extreme compression) the grooves, shock oil can no longer pass by the piston band. At this point, the shock oil can only flow through the normal shock valving (piston bleeds, orifices and base valve) whick is considerably more restrictive yielding much firmer damping where it is required.

It's quite a nice design and was developed back in the late 90's if I remember correctly. But it was designed to improve ride quality during normal suspn travel, not reduce maximum suspn travel during bump or rebound.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
stick with the kyb's. imo one of the best shocks on the market

1 - 6 of 6 Posts