Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got most of my parts assembled for my stroker buildup and I called probe tech support the other day but just wanted to check in with the folks what have done it afore :)

They offer their kits with high compression (10.5:1) and a low comp (9.5:1) pistons. When I called their tech line the guy said either set would work with the patriot 185 heads and 2.02 valves.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm this? Seems wierd to me that their generic 351W stroker kit at 10.5:1 wouldn't have particular piston requirements to clear valves.. He didnt even care what cam I was running.

He said as long as I am not planning to run twisted heads I'd be fine with either kit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is the dish on the pistons? The factory pistons only needed to be trimmed just a touch (on the 4v) to make the bigger valves fit. 1.9" intake valves on Edelbrock heads will fit, but it is kind of close. I would imagine that if you order it and there is contact, you could get the pistons clearanced and rebalanced fairly easily. This is assuming the high compression. The lower compression setup would probably make up the difference in the dish, and as long as you aren't pushing something like 0.600 lift, you should be fine.

Just my 0.02.
Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts