Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is new to me. My new J code got totally soaked in the rear floor area and the passenger front side floor on the trip up here from San Fransisco. I've taken out the rear seat and pulled up layers and dabbed with towels, etc. and now have a little heater goinig constantly to dry things out. It's making progress, but shoot it was really wet! I have yet to see under there whether a plug or two is missing..

I don't know if water gushed in through the cowl, the door seals, or what. Is this underlayment pretty forgiving or am I doomed to have mold problems now?

Any chemicals I can perhaps spray under the layers of carpet/underlayment to prevent mold or mildew?

The underlayment is all so nice and new looking, this is a darned shame. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Brian,
Go to Home Depot or similiar place, grab a box of DampRid. They're bags with water absorbing pellets in them. Hang a couple from the steering wheel, door handles etc. I had some flooding a few years ago, they worked very well at picking up moisture, good luck, Bruce

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Maybe a dehumidifier? Run a fan too.

Brian, I can't tell you how many times I have seen cars on transports with the windows partially rolled down.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian,
Go to Home Depot or similiar place, grab a box of DampRid. They're bags with water absorbing pellets in them. Hang a couple from the steering wheel, door handles etc. I had some flooding a few years ago, they worked very well at picking up moisture, good luck, Bruce
Oh yeah..Duh, I have a bunch of those canisters (with the little tubs) all around the shop/storage areas..but hadn't thought of placing a couple in the car yet. I think I'll have it dried out in good time, but mostly I wonder how fast everything has to get dry in order to prevent real problems? Perhaps I ought to take out the front seat and get some space under the front carpet and underlayment too..Hmm..

Thanks,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Brian: hate to even bring this up but front passenger and rear floors wet could indicate a bad heater core, especially if the car was on a multicar transporter where the front end was angled up. Is it just water? I assume it was on a transporter, but did they run it to get it in? Enclosed or open? A rust hole in the cowl could produce similar results.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Brian, first off congratulations on your new purchase! With that amount of water, I would think it is something pretty serious like the cowl or maybe all of the weatherstripping leaks. As far as the factory underlayment...I'm hoping you have a different experience but mine held moisture like crazy and my car wouldn't stop fogging up until I replaced it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Brian: hate to even bring this up but front passenger and rear floors wet could indicate a bad heater core, especially if the car was on a multicar transporter where the front end was angled up. Is it just water? I assume it was on a transporter, but did they run it to get it in? Enclosed or open? A rust hole in the cowl could produce similar results.
Yes it was on an open trailer-just a three car trailer. I am fairly certain it is "just" water. The heater is working well, and the water I've wrung out of a microfiber covered sponge is pretty much just brown from the underlayment pad's residue and has no smell or slick feel.. The Cowl is really really clean, It is tough to imagine that it has a hole, as clean as the car is..

Man I hope it was just a stupid move like the window being too loosely closed. It's strange that it is in 3 of the 4 floor areas. To me that screams just simple leakage through window(s). I think I'd better take out a front seat and get some circulation under there too..

Thanks for the thoughts, guys :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i would probably get rid of the heater and go wth fans as mentioned--i'd pull the seats and the sill mouldings and try to prop up the carpet too
my bet is a cowl to heater problem or front window seal--both are fixable
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Get it dried out good then take a garden hose to the outside from all angles and see if you can tell where the water is comming in at. Hopefully it's just a window that wasn't rolled up all the way. Once it's all dry you shouldn't have to worry about mold. Only when it is damp for a few days will mold set in.
Congrats on the purchase...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is somewhat related, but help remind me here, can you guys?

The big hole on the side here (Where the top is bare steel and the bottom is primered) is the drainhole from the cowl area, correct?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes, and their is a ring around the hole going to the heater box (aprox 1 1/2 high) to prevent the water from entering. Leaves and stuff can collect around that ring and trap moisture which will rust out.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the exact same issue, same areas of the floor when the '68 XR7 I bought SIGHT UNSEEN was delivered last year after a cross-country journey on an open trailer with Dependable Auto Shippers. There had been a tropical storm in Texas with several inches of rain which the car went through, and I've since replaced the original window and door seals which were hard, and, well 42 years old. Seller told me of a minor cowl leak on the passenger side which I haven't noticed, and the windshield is original, which I'm planning on keeping. I pulled up the carpeting immediately after the car arrived, and found almost no surface rust on the floors, and no holes, so it hasn't been a chronic leaker.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Brian, your car was soooo clean inside, I can't imagine that it had a leaking problem. I agree with a few others, it's very likely that someone left a window open during transport.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Brian,

My advise is to remove the carpet and underlayment so they can both dry out completely. The factory underlayment can hold moisture for months even if the carpet feels dry. Once you have it all out put the garden hose on the cowls and all around the windshield just to make sure you don't have a cowl leak.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian,

My advise is to remove the carpet and underlayment so they can both dry out completely. The factory underlayment can hold moisture for months even if the carpet feels dry. Once you have it all out put the garden hose on the cowls and all around the windshield just to make sure you don't have a cowl leak.
Thanks John..I'm on it!

I am just amazed at the quality of the factory underlayment and soundproofing in this car. Either I haven't been paying attention, or my other cars had newer replacement material laid in there somewhere along the line..this stuff is absolutely thick and precisely cut and very good quality(especially compared to what is available in the aftermarket)! I'm just sick about this time capsule being soaked like this. It was pretty hard to get all of the material out without any tearing..

·
Registered
107 Posts
We had a 66 Mustang once that had the same problems. It was a great 1 owner grandpa car, but living in Willamette Valley so long the rain rusted out the cowl. We ended up putting one of those (ugly) plastic covers over the cowl and sold the car to some young kid. I wouldn't worry about mold once everything is dried out, just keep it dried and it will be fine. The 64 Galaxie always had leaking problems from windshield gaskets and it was always fine, because I babysat it all the time and placed those dry chemical containers in it when it sat for long periods of time. Also I never parked it in a garage. Heck, it is still sitting outside, but now on the dry side(god's country) of the state.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Even very clean, otherwise rust free cars can have rust inside the bottom of the windshield and rear window channels..lay in the trunk and look up at the channel.

Otherwise, cowl is a safe bet.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts