Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking about doing this on and off for too long, time to do it! We want to give 10% off every order (including shipping) for every original owner that can provide us a picture, short story and some documentation of them buying their car new. I will be flexible on what constitutes an original owner. For example, did you buy it from Hertz a year after it was new? Close enough! The window of time is closing in on getting these stories documented for all time. It's a shame that we at WCCC get to hear them all the time and the rest of the community for the most part does not. So if you know anyone that fits the bill, send them our way!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Anyone know how to get this one on youtube? I think it has something embedded to prevent it. I should just call the news station....

Edit; Got it on the West Coast classic Cougar Youtube channel after some playing around with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don that is a fabulous story. I wish I could say I was the original owner of my 70 convertible, but I'm 3rd. It does have 250K+ documented miles though. Thank god it was a Cali car and is still rust free.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Does original family count? My grandparents bought the Cougar new in '68 (special ordered) and both of them drove it until they passed away. Now it's in my hands :)

Awesome video! I've been to Ellensburg but didn't see him cruising around.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does original family count? My grandparents bought the Cougar new in '68 (special ordered) and both of them drove it until they passed away. Now it's in my hands :)

Awesome video! I've been to Ellensburg but didn't see him cruising around.
Do you have a picture of you in it as a baby? Copy of the will? Really cool story to go with? Maybe we should have a 5% discount or one time 10% discount on large orders. You one family owners have some great history to share as well...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hey! You're poaching on my material! I've got a series going on Original Owners for the CCOA newsletter...see June issue, couple more in the current issue. No fair offering parts for material... I got no writers' budget...

Don't bogart them stories, my friend.... LOL.

By the way, Phil Parcells tells me there are something like 500 original owners in the database, so we've only scratched the surface. We might try sending a postcard/questionaire to them and see what kind of response we get.

Rob
"Temporary" editor
At the Sign of the Cat

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
We had at least six original family Cougar owners in the SoCal Cougar Club.

• 1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - special ordered, delivery delayed due to the strike in late 1967.
  • 1968 Standard
  • 1973 XR7 Convertible - Q code 4 speed, owner purchased car after company lease ran out
  • 1967 Standard - bench seat - hand me down from Mom
  • 1968 XR7 GT - converted to 289 during the oil embargo
  • 1970 XR7 - H code 4 speed, for boat towing

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey! You're poaching on my material! I've got a series going on Original Owners for the CCOA newsletter...see June issue, couple more in the current issue. No fair offering parts for material... I got no writers' budget...

Don't bogart them stories, my friend.... LOL.

By the way, Phil Parcells tells me there are something like 500 original owners in the database, so we've only scratched the surface. We might try sending a postcard/questionnaire to them and see what kind of response we get.

Rob
"Temporary" editor
At the Sign of the Cat
I think this is going to be a fun project. I will go check out your work, please forward people to us as they arise!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have been talking about doing this on and off for too long, time to do it! We want to give 10% off every order (including shipping) for every original owner that can provide us a picture, short story and some documentation of them buying their car new. I will be flexible on what constitutes an original owner. For example, did you buy it from Hertz a year after it was new? Close enough! The window of time is closing in on getting these stories documented for all time. It's a shame that we at WCCC get to hear them all the time and the rest of the community for the most part does not. So if you know anyone that fits the bill, send them our way!

Cool pic. No one can say it's not from the 60's. Well you could say it, but you'd be an idiot.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Like being in a good old A&W drive in with the window tray.
They have a lot of cool old pics like that.

Jean

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Harry gets the distinction of being the first one listed on our site in "Featured Items" site as an original owner of his Cougar. In time we will be more sophisticated and issue member numbers that will enable customers to login to our site and apply their discounts directly.
<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">Harry Unruh / 1969 Eliminator / White Rock BC
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Do you know of a person who purchased their 1967-1973 Mercury Cougar New? Send them our way! We would love to document their story and honor them with an across the board, lifetime 10% discount.
This story actually begins in 1967 while still in college. I fell in love with the ’67 Cougars and before my graduation that year, ordered a new 1967 Standard Cougar. It was a fun car and served me very well over the 2+ years I owned it. Then, when the 1969’s came out, I was impressed with the new styling and had the urge to make a trade. But since we were then living in a remote northern community of BC, there was no Mercury dealer nearby so...
</td></tr></tbody></table>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts