Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was told to get some anti-friction oil added with the rearend oil. Sometimes the locker gives a real hard click, even when i'm riding straight ahead.
Any-one advice on this??

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My sense is that these do not require friction modifier additive like clutch posi's do. I would check the manufacturer's (Eaton?) site and see what their recommendations are.

On my True Trac (Eaton), they specifically say that the additive is not required.

In general, my feeling is that ratcheting type locking differentials tend to be harsh (although I do not have direct experience to base that on). Not sure if the problem you describe is "normal" or not.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i just went to the local mustang shop, and the guy told me that he replaced two rear axle (many many years ago) just because he didn't knew about that anti friction oil... It was a "kind of hard to believe" story to me, so maybe anybody is familiar with this in the past...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
well, i just went to the local mustang shop, and the guy told me that he replaced two rear axle (many many years ago) just because he didn't knew about that anti friction oil... It was a "kind of hard to believe" story to me, so maybe anybody is familiar with this in the past...
Probably conventional clutch type posi's as I mentioned. Contact Richmond (the manufacturer, I checked) and ask them.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
it is going to do that noise no matter what you put in it. It is the nature of the beast. One of the reasons (of many) that I got rid of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts