Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this board I read a great suggestion about taping some string to the antennea wire to pull through the new wire..I did this last night and got a new one installed (old one was broken off 2" up) but there is one small thing that bugs me-

The mount on top of the fender isn't really seating in flush. If I turn it a bit, it is of course sending the antennea up at a bad angle. If it is straight up, the mount seems to still have a gap between the bottom of the black gasket and the top surface of the fender. I pushed it as far toward the center of the car to take it away from the curve on the fender top, but it's still not perfect.

Is this just as good as it's going to get, or do I not have the gasket cranked down tight enough, or am I missing something else here?

Thanks for any input,

·
Registered
156 Posts
What type of antenna did you install? Many antenna bases are made to fit several cars, so the base is adjustable. I know some Ford products have a rectangular base plate while others are round. Perhaps a photo would help.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of antenna did you install? Many antenna bases are made to fit several cars, so the base is adjustable. I know some Ford products have a rectangular base plate while others are round. Perhaps a photo would help.
This is the stock-type mount (the round one) from Scott Drake. Nice quality, but a dime a dozen, same as the Mustang ant. It is adjustable as you can simply turn it and try different angles and rotational positions. I just can't seem to find the right position..

Thanks,

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've had trouble with those in the past too, Brian, never to get it right, or at least not for long. When it got bent, I bought an NOS one from John Benoit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So Brian, you need the little round ball on the end of tha antenna? ("Antennea tip needed").

:buck:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had trouble with those in the past too, Brian, never to get it right, or at least not for long. When it got bent, I bought an NOS one from John Benoit.
Thanks Dennis,

That makes me feel better. I was wondering if I was goin' crazy or something ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts