Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped at a redlight and cougar died on me and tried to restart and turned over slowly like a low battery. Pushed it off the road and tried jumpstarting it. Still turned over slowly a couple of times, then wouldn't turn over at all. Left the cables on for another 5 or 10 minutes letting it charge up. Would crank slowly again, then quit. Left the cables on another 5 minutes, and then cranked up strong and got it started and drove home. Once at home I cranked it up a couple of times after work and started up no problem. Took the battery to two different auto parts store and battery checked out fine.
My rebuilt starter is 4 months old could it be that. Can they get cranky and too hot from driving and need to cool off? I was stuck on the side of the road for 40 minutes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Compared to an FE a 351W should leave some more room for wires not to cook, but the wire to the starter may have cracked or be missing insulation in a place you cannot see, and be shorting out that way. Also if you have a quick-disconnect terminal on the battery it may - after a while - not allow nearly as much current through as when first installed. I have experienced intermittent starting problems from those 2 sources. On Fe-engines it helps to route the wire to the starter over the shock tower instead of along the exhaust manifold. Maybe this also applies to 351Ws.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had a similar problem with heat soak on the starter in my 428. After changing it twice in several months I finally went to a high torque starter with a heat shield. No problem since.

Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saturday, I was palnning to go ahead and change out starter as it has a warranty on it thinking that was my only problem. I go out to start the engine again and won't start. I started it all week without charging up battery. So I take out the battery and have it checked and now it tests bad. So I buy a new battery and it cranks right up. Great! I take it for a spin and get it home and try to start again and the starter really drags. Let it cool off awhile and starts fine.
So I decided to manafacture a heat shield out of sheet metal and wrap it around the starter with about 3/4 inch clearance all around starter. Went for a spin and got it heated up and starter was still quite hot and dragged some when trying to start.

Now I'm ready to replace starter but I get under car and the corners of the bolt heads are smoothed off, so my wrenches slip off. When it rains it pours. The one that is really bad is the top one that is hard to get to anyway. So I backed off from trying to loosen them as not to make it worse.
Any ideas or tricks on how to get the bolts out?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Try a craftsman robogrip, which is similar to a locking pliers. You will toast the bolt, but sounds like it is there already. The other option is to try a 4 or 6 point socket, I forget which. These will sometimes work where the regular socket slips.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts