Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 302 2-v that is not running properly. Fuel is getting to the carb through the fuel line and to the filter. Fuel is getting into the bowl because I can move the accelerator and see fuel spray into the carb body. When I start the car, fuel pours up through two tubes(?) on either side of the bowl. Any suggestions as to why it is doing this and how to stop it? The car runs, but ALOT of gas starts pouring onto the engine.

Thanks,
AB
Pensacola,FL

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
maybe you have the float set too high? or the needle wont close now. the car runs now though right? or a leaky gasket. you have any pictures of the carb and where its shooting from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
picture of carb

Attached is a picture of the carb in question. Please note the two copper color tubes sticking out of the body. This is where the gas is coming out. There is a knob under the filter that the picture doesn't show. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AB

Attachments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Those copper colored tubes are the bowl vents. Something is definately causing too much gas to enter the carb. Either there is a piece of crud in the needle valve that won't let it close off the flow, or the float is set wrong, or the float got heavy (gas-logged) and has sunk in the fuel bowl. You're gonna have to take it apart and rebuild it.

Also, get a new float -- preferably a brass one since the black foam floats don't like a lot of the fuel additives these days and will get 'soaked' over time.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if you werent so far away i have a 2bbl lying around somewhere ( i think i loaned it to someone ) thats in good shape. too bad UPS wont look kindly on a gas soaked item being shipped through them. but yeah, i think the needle is stuck open but the float sunk is a damn good idea too. how long was it sitting again? maybe messing with the float level will bring it inline too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts