Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know you guys aren't so big on the '74's for whatever reason, but I found another one while searching for parts for the original! It's a red on red leather cat, originally an H code 351C 2V someone thought it wasn't enough, so they tore it out and dropped a 429 into her! No idea what the motor codes are, it's still out in crossfield, I'm just lining up a garage to park her in and get started. Turns out this thing is in miles better condition than my green/gold '74 so I'm going to strip her for parts and restore the red one.

And now for the pictures:

I'll take some more pics of the condition/motor when I get her towed back into town. Plus I need to find an alternator, someone stole it...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Holy land-yacht Batman! :buck:

Welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah! Only interior pic I got, red leather doesnt sit so well with me, so I'm transplanting the white leather from the other cat to make it a console shift and facilitate a 4/5 speed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
personaly I like the series, had a 75 myself back in the day. Good luck with the project :smoke:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the power but i just cant do without the luxury!
this is the red interior, anything that can be salvaged will be, possibly stored.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice find! My friends Mom had an Elite when I was kid, I loved that car, thought it was pretty cool. Good luck with it.

I too was shopping for a parts car and wound up keeping the parts car and dumping the original one. Both were 94 full-size GM wagons. Wife now has 213K on the parts woody (bought with 135K), sold the Police packaged Caprice to a guy in NY who wasn't scared by 14 road salt winters the car had (car was from western NY/PA rust belt)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:1poke: At least the fog lights aren't overkill....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, they dont look too bad, but theyre coming off. I'm actually replacing the whole bumper with the one off of my other car. Back bumper too. Full interior swap, I'll post the only interior pic when I get home. Got a garage lined up for it too, came in the deal with a new place for me to move into, $50/month extra for a single car, it's 19ft 4inches long, so the car JUST fits. Haha. I'm having it towed into town in a couple weeks once the move in cools down. And then to work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kinda having a problem uploading pics of the interior, none the less, car is being towed in in a week or so to get started! had to move out to end up with the garage, but its almost set up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YAY it finally worked, so yea thats the 429 interior, little rough, needs a cleaning, but its coming out and getting replaced with a white leather console interior.:smoke:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all! FINALLY got the car towed into town, and Ive already started taking it apart, and the rust is UNBELIEVABLE. Although I should have seen it coming, not having been started in 20 years and all. threw up an album with some of the pictures that ive taken so far. that motor sure needs help. im going to see if i can buff the codes out to read them better.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t19/gollum244/1974 Mercury Cougar XR7 429/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well...pulled the motor. that was an episode and a half. while i was pulling it, i had some oil come out of one of the exhaust manifold holes. wondered why the oil was that far up considering the seized crank and such, so i pulled the plug on the oil pan...and out poured no less than 8L of water, followed by the customary pitch black chunky oil.

I'm really starting to wonder about this motor.
got it all out, not so surprised its seized, with all that crap in it. pulled the tranny off, its a c6. had really clean fluid...that is all over my driveway now, the plug i used to close up the tailshaft popped out. my buddie's wife said it was like watching the car give birth. there was a lot of grunting, a ton of coaxing, rubber gloves, cutting hoses and red fluid went everywhere. haha maybe she's on to something.
here's the trans. your average C6, little dust, looks like it might have been rebuilt just before install, the oil pump is all shiny, and looks like the torque converter is brand new, use wise.

and the motor. Mounted and set up. pulled the valve covers off and OOOOHHH its bad. this might just be a lesson in what to expect after 20 years of an essentially open carb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts