Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a 6.5 and a 6.5 GT. When I read through the Cougar 101 Section they look the same to me.

Our car has the 6.5 on the side but does not say GT. Is it a GT?? Or what.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome to the board cheesey!!
Just because you have a 6.5 does not mean you have a GT. The 67 Cougar sales brochure indicates that the GT performance group included the 390 4V engine, (of course), the handling package, wide oval nylon-cord tires, low restriction dual exhaust, power front disk brakes, power booster fan (or clutch fan), low restriction air filter, special 6" rim wheels and had the GT badge instead of the 6.5 one. I am not sure if the VIN would confirm the GT but the Marti report certainly would. And the 6.5 was available as a stand-alone option in 67. Hope this helps...should be the same for the 68.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
First off, does the car have disc brakes? What size is the front sway bar? I think 5/8" is non GT and I think 15/16 is the GT or handling package. A buyer could get all the GT goodies and not option a GT if so wanted. A Marti report will state if or not on the GT package. If I remember correctly you have standard 68, "Cougars by the Numbers" states that 955 GTs were built on that bidy and 1845 XR7 GTs were built. And it also states that 1547 standards were built with 390 4V(all tranys) and 3308 XR7s with 390 4V(all tranys). You have a rare car GT or not. If non GT then its one of 592. Cool huh? Neal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still figuring it out

We picked up the car last night but I havent had much time to look it over. We have a huge file of every single thing ever done to the car since 1968 as well as the original owners manual with some information in it. I cant find anything that says it has the GT Performance Package. It does have disk brakes. Havent checked the size of the sway bar yet. The Vin does have the"S" in it. Interior is in real good shape. Exterior paint is not in good shape. Some rust but not much. 150,000 miles on the car (we have documentation to back that up). Runs AWESOME. Now,
where do we start!

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Marti report

where can one find a Marti report ?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts