Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 XR-7 conv. that has the glued in windows. Somewhere in time with a previous owner, the windows have been re-glued to the holders. However, the door windows holders are not placed one inch in from the edge of the glass. This is causing alignment issues as you can guess. My question is, how do I break the bond without breaking the glass in the process?

·
Registered
913 Posts
No matter what you try, there is a chance of breakage, but what you have now is not working. I have used heat on the metal part holding the glass and then used a rubber hammer and tapped on the metal to loosen the glass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used a multi tool from harbor freight tools. just do a search on their website. the 2" wide offset scraper blade worked great with the window out of the car.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
eewww boy - tempered glass is a touchy thing for sure....If they used a epoxy of some sort (I would) you may have a battle on your hands. The old glue wouldn't be an issue - but it depends on what hey used. See if heat will soften it up at all? I'd be very careful if taping on it looks like the only option - maybe put it on soemthing that will absorb the vibrations - but firm enough to allow you to work it. Maybe see if you have a good source for backup glass first!! Good luck....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts