Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere that a fuel tank from a 69/70 Cougar will drop right into a 67/68 with only minor modification to the filler tube, giving about 4 more gallons of fue capacity. I have looked and can't find the article tto refresh the details in my mind. Has anyone done this swap? I'm wondering about details such as what sending unit to use, etc. Can anyone help? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
that was what I read, and as far as the dimensions the only significant difference is the height, the 69 tank rises up above the trunk floor. I'm doing this swap right now(69 20 gallon on a 68), but I'm using a custom sender(autometer gauges). I'll let you know how if there's any gotchas.

as far as the stock sender is concerned I heard you can just use the sending unit for the tank your putting in, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we used the sender for the year of tank installed---had to modify the inlet tube as mentioned--you do loose quite a bit of trunk but we cleaned it up by making a false floor over the tank and carpet
doctordesoto

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
we used the sender for the year of tank installed---had to modify the inlet tube as mentioned--you do loose quite a bit of trunk but we cleaned it up by making a false floor over the tank and carpet
doctordesoto
Hey Doc! Please post a pic of that false trunk floor. I'm planning a similar treatment to hide my space saver spare. Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have installed a 69 gas tank in three 67/68 Cougars. The 69 tank mounts exactly like the 67/68 tank. It uses the exact same mounting holes and sheet metal screws. I used 69 fuel sending units and the 67/68 gauges work correctly and are accurate. I used a muffler shop to fabricate custom gas filler tubes so the seams will not leak. the top of the 69 gas tank it the same height as the sides of the 67/68 trunk. This leaves gaps between the gas tank and the sides of the trunk floor. I used 2x4 lumber cut to fit these gaps and it results in a very flat trunk floor that is about 2 inches shallower than stock. You then need to recut the sound insulator and the trunk floor mats as they will now be too wide (about 2 inches from each side). The hard part is cutting a smooth curve to match the wheel well. I found that the trunck is actually easier to use as it is now totally flat. I think this is one of the best things you can do to your 67/68 if you drive it a lot. As you haven't actually modified the car you can put it back to stock any time you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts