Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat was getting rather hot recently. This struck me as odd, since I had gotten a new 3 row radiator. So I thought, hey, maybe it needs a new thermostat. I open up my goose neck, and lo and behold, all that is left is the rim of my thermostat and sharp rusty ridges. The thermostat had rusted away, and now there is a spring and wax filled housing gone in my motor. But gone where? Where would the rest of my thermostat go in the motor, and would it circulate around with the rest of the fluid, or become sendentary?

Unfortunately, I left what was left of the old thermostat, which was just the top piece, at the auto parts store when I bought a new thermostat because I was rather distracted by the thought of it. So no pictures.

Any advice is appreciated.

CDTJ

·
Registered
992 Posts
My guess is that it is lodged in the upper radiator hose or at the upper portion of the radiator. Your car is running hot due to the lack of thermostat function, and the decreased flow of coolant due to that blockage

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hmm, I'd remove the top rad hose and check in there first, or pull the rad cap and look inside and see if its obvious. Next thing might be remove radiator and flip it upside down and back flush it. This is a new one for me so maybe others have some better ideas
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts