Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 with power drums on the front. The time has come to address a brake job. If possible I would like to do a disc swap but funds and time will dictate if this will happen since the car is also my daily driver at this point. I've seen quite a few used front disc set ups for 68-69 cars on Ebay and various websites. What makes the 68 set up so unique that it can't be used on a '67? Is it just something simple like the spindles? How would this setup work with my current power assist? Brakes aren't my forte so any and all information will be helpful. I've made her reasonably fast for the street. Now I just need to stop. Anyone?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think Granada brakes will work..?.. I have heard of people putting them on mustangs, swapping spindles and all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about doing the Granada swap, but it seems like it's so popular that most of those cars are pretty picked over in the junkyards. I am keeping my eyes open on Ebay for them though. Do you know exactly what I would need to complete the job?

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks Bowl!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not being a 67-68 owner I'm not 100% on this but the issue isn't that the 68 setup won't work on the 67, it is just that the 67 being a one-year setup, it isn't easy to find. The Granda conversion needs the spindles, rotors, calipers, hoses, outer tie rod ends, and distribution block, at a minimum. Getting MC, booster, and brake pedal arm, are good ideas but I know of at least one 67 Mustang that went without them and still stops well. And of course you have the big dollar option like Master Power Brakes or Stainless Steel Brakes conversion kits.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My 67 has the aftermarket nonpower stainless steel brakes front disc brakes and the factory drums on rear with better pads. It stops great and consistent..........
As far as putting 68 disc front........I'm not sure the difference but I do have a couple disc front ends if I can help. I'm in St. Louis area.........Keith 636-925-8888

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The 67 set up is different in 2 aspects.
One most everybody knows is the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers. They are great but are expensive and everyone seems to poo poo them because of the price.
Secondly, the disc brake proportioning valve on 67's is above the rear axle. The distribution block is below the master cylinder.
1968 has a both the valve/dist block on a bracket and all of the vendors sell an aftermarket prop valve/dist block combination.
The best thing to do is buy all of the parts for a 68 disc brake setup, if price is the main factor.
You will also need a new brake line from the dist block to the rearend for a 68 on your 67.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts