Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the run of bad luck continues.....Got the wife's Mustang all rockin and rollin, then the truck gets stolen. Fast forward a 3 weeks later and my 57 Plymouth's motor goes kaboom!
There is a silver lining to all this...the trucks insurance paid out and I found a super clean F350 Powerstroke Dually, '96 with 81k original...awesome tow rig. And there's enough left over to rebuild the old Poly motor! So outside of all the aggravation and time wasted/lost, all is good I suppose.
Except for I'm never going to get the Cougar done at this rate, and just try finding motor parts for a 54 year old Plymouth...never gonna complain about Cougar parts again... 004.jpg PlymouthFront.jpg 026.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually kicked around a couple of ideas, but it all comes down to wanting to keep the pushbutton transmission. Having a shifter sticking through the floorboard just doesn't look right...lol

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I......Want.....that.....car. That has been on my top 5 list for years, only in red, and 2 doors, but i'll take 4.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Waisted time? I wouldn't be doing this but for the fun of it. I do understand the aggrevation of having to redo what is already done though. F350 looks like you did real well there. I have a 97 F350 with 106 thousand on it. It has been a good truck. Only issue is the amount of weight on the front axle with the extended wheel base. Can't even hang a plow on the front. Axle is already maxed out. My dad has a dully, only problem with that is it is no good in the snow. Sure rides nice though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Fastcat...check out TheForwardLook.Net. Lots of them around and lots of clones...Harvey I didn't mean waisting time in a bad way, just that I've been trying to get the Cougar back on the road, or racetrack....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Never been on a race track that must be pretty cool. I figure as long as what ever I am working on is not my daily driver, this time of year my bike, all is good. I hate having to work on something right away. I enjoy turning wrench's when I don't have too.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Where is VACAVILLE?

I always WONDERED, could a person take off the INSIDE wheels in the winter to get more traction, and LESS FOATION? Needless to say I know NOTHING about a dully..............nothing.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vacaville is about 25 miles from West Sacramento and 50 or so miles to San Fransisco, on the 80 corridor between the two. Never really thought about the dually thing..this is my first one! Luckily there's not much winter here, just rain. The occasional jaunt to Lake Tahoe might be interesting with the dually during winter.
Success on the Belvedere crank and rods, found the motor in a pile of other motors this morning, unearthed it and pulled the crank and rods out. Thanks to John at BigM in Williams for the parts!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Awesome link, now I have a resource for when I am ready to find one. Hopefully sooner than later, but a 1st gen Bronco is next in line. Thanks, and beautiful car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So things are coming together with the Plymouth...found cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, pistons, rocker arms and shafts and a set of Eagle SIR rods. Went and got a 318 crank and found a set of aluminum valve covers that are just *****in!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Awesome link, now I have a resource for when I am ready to find one. Hopefully sooner than later, but a 1st gen Bronco is next in line. Thanks, and beautiful car.
My brother in-law has a 1st gen Bronco. he was talking of selling.
Says it's in very good condition.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Musta missed the post on the stolen truck>? Thievin' bastages! Well, a '96 with only 81K on her is pretty awesome. I think Christine was just gettin' jealous of the other stuff getting all the attention ;>) now she's getting what she wants! That block was starting to get a bit crusty anyway.....she'll be right a rain when you get done. (Nice upgrades!)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all and yes I've heard the same about the Hemi stuff, just running out of budget. This is the only car I've had the "wierdness" about keeping it mostly original and authentic. It'll look reasonably stock (with some dress up goodies) under the hood. And I'm guessing the last couple of years she was probably down to about 80 psi in the cylinders. So some minor performance improvements and she'll be rolling! I'll be better able to do air fuel with the Holley and electronic distributor, maybe a mileage improvement as well. I'm jazzed, thinking I might be able to shoot a fresh coat of blue on her this winter!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts